Rip Off parts

renewablejohn

Please remember though - those people, such as myself, who will be on stands at the APF will not necessarily be the right people to moan too. We are the Sales Staff, we can forward your comments on to the management team who fix the prices but quite often, we have no say or influence.

Every price for every thing is fixed at what the market can stand, what it costs plus a margin for profit. On the whole, traders are not there to rip you off but to make a profit that allows them to continue to trade and remain a supplier of said goods.

Yes, I agree, that some items seem to cost a large amount (or so you think) but there will be a reason for it. And, as already supposed, it may be that that part has been through several levels of trade before the end user gets it.

I had to buy a splitting maul the other day as I needed it then, it cost £55 (with discount) but if i could have waited a few days or driven around for the afternoon checking prices, I could have got a non - name item for £25. I could have easily spent £150 of my time and fuel to save £30.

Don't be too hard on your suppliers, if you want them to continue to be available as a supplier.....

:confused1: We are in the UK, right!

we are ripped off on everything & I mean everything, its no good saying the price is fixed i'm only the sales man. I have met salesmen who have dropped the price a huge amount to get a sale so part of what you say is not quite right, BUT .. I also realise if we dont support local etc etc.

Trouble is these days you can ring on a mobile and have a part delivered next day some times quicker than a dealer can get it because he only orders once or twice a week.

As far as saving money on tools:thumbdown: mostly you get what you pay for and often saving a few pounds on Chinese crap costs dear in the end.

I had a quote for wheel bearings for a Peugeot that cost 3 times as much as exactly the same bearings they use on Citroen, total ripoff and no doubt the sales staff would say we are not making anything on these, just do it as a service.

The money you saved by the blacksmith sorting out your leaver you could buy a small welder :thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With most of the forestry machinery world attending the APF why not have an award for the most expensive rip off part voted for by arbtalk members with a trophy presented at the APF.

Any thoughts

How about... Lowering solenoid for my fenner power pack. From Fenner £40 from a master of tipping advertising somewhere on this forum.......£170.00!!!!

Im sure there are better examples than that though!

Iseki front 4wd seal from iseki £39 each. Local seal and bearing distibutor £5.

Same goes for all iseki parts it seems. I ranted to Ransomes simms and Jeffries the UK distributor online through the contact form and explained that the after sales pricing puts me off from buying this brand in the future etc. Sent the email on october the 13th 2011. Still not heard back. Email acknowledgement from them below.

Having struggled to find ready accessible dealer info for iseki. I eventually found your site. I have downloaded the pdf files for the iseki tf321 which we have, It is leaking both front seals on the axle pivot points.Part no 1614-433-002-00. Thank you for putting these valuable resources online. Due to not finding dealer info I tried local bearing and seal distributors who could only supply seals 1mm out from the original part for £7 each. Finally today, Through our local dealer cherrys of north frodingham I find the seals are in my opinion excessively expensive at £39 each, Is this really the price we have to pay for an unessasarily bizzare sized original part. I see no reason why the castings couldn't of been 1mm larger etc. This practice also occurs with kubota another japanese manufacturer I understand, It would make me purchase non japanese machinery in the future as a captive market is not future proof, if companys disappear or get acquired by larger cooperations at a later date that no longer intend supporting the products. I hope you can help in explaining and justifying these prices

At the end of their email the following statement!

"Please expect to be contacted within 5 working days."

Still not heard. Who Cares?

Edited by Goaty
Clarification

The worst I have come across recently apart from Vermeer Uk! Is Ford, I needed a replacement Tonrneau cover for our Ford Ranger, Ford wanted £600+vat for one I found the UK manufacture of them who supply Ford, they charged me only £112inc vat! They were not impressed when I told them Ford send it out for over 600 quid!

With most of the forestry machinery world attending the APF why not have an award for the most expensive rip off part voted for by arbtalk members with a trophy presented at the APF.

Any thoughts

Sounds like a good idea, except it may go over like a lead balloon with the sponsors:sneaky2: The prices for spares over here is insane as well:thumbdown:. I find that having a good welder/fabricator is in most cases the best way to go.

easy-lift guy

As has been pointed out most of the time it is the manufacturers that charge massively for spares and not the retailers.... comments that are passed on will just be ignored....

I know this is frustrating because who do you speak to if you want to complain directly to the manufacturer? You can't find anyone....!

One thing this thread does illustrate well is at least 'these days' with the internet there is far more choice and information out there so a lot of the time you can find a cheaper alternative.

:biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Ah hah...

"warranty claims that we get stiffed for" says PeteB.

I don't like the attitude behind this statement.

Are you assuming all purchasers of machinery are then out to rip off the manufacturer?

I thought a warranty was there for a good reason so that if a part failed before its time then the manufacturer would hold up its hands and admit fault.

A happy customer is a returning customer.

(or would you like me to go elsewhere for my chippers:sneaky2:)

Ty