70 - 80cc saws

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best in class 70-80cc saw is hands down the dolmar7900 (makita 7901).

not as light as an 044 or 372xp but still lighter than a ms460, and more power than a husky 385xp!

best power to weight ratio out there.

build quality is good, theyve been around for a good few years (at least 4) and have been much better recieved than either the 441 or 575xp.

one part that i dont like is the chain tensioner assembly, thought it seemed flimsy, but have actually had no problems with it so far.. air filter seems small, but works very well also

buy one!

(ive run 70cc huskys+ stihls, and regularly run an 044, so i'm not just a dolmar fanboy)

I run both a 441 and a 575.

The 575 feels a heavy saw, but has buckets of tourq and is fantastic for felling big stuff, occasionally i stick a 28" on it and it pulls this very nicely.

The 441 however handles a a lot better and in my unscientific opinion cuts a fraction quicker in small wood.

Both saws have minimal vibes, and fuel usage is very good. I've had absolutely no problem with the 575 in the 12 months Iv had it. Overall If I had to have just one 70cc saw it would be the 441 (weight and feel).

I tend to sick to the same brand purely so i can interchange between parts and normally choose on the basis of weight vs power i.e ms260,360,460 not 24,34,44.

Though if your solely using one saw most of the time all day for extended periods I'd want lower vibe levels. Huskys would fit the bill but as im stihl bias id say 441 should be more than adequate especially if your not going over a 20" bar.

Nope you won't convince me, Stihl is the machine for me not Husky. Not heard that saying before, other less biased versions yes! Look at the used market - there are loads of ancient stihls still working hard, virtually no husky's of the same era still at it. I always thought the general concensous was a husky = higher production whereas a stihl = longer life. Oooh I bet that could start a war!!!