70 - 80cc saws

TimberCutterDartmoor

I had a 9010 previous to the 7901 and would say the following: it's heavy! Very solidly built though but make sure you use sprocket tip bars as solid ones drain power. I had a 24" bar and would guess it actually suits a 20" rather well...

Its currently got a 29" bar on and scares the hell out of me which is good. It is quite heavy I'd agree. Its my first experience with a big saw and I'm not disapointed. I think what I'll end up doing is getting a smaller bar for my small saw and a 20" bar and the the 29" is there for the bigger stuff.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just wondering if someone had a ms 660, 650, 460, 441 maktia 7901 or a 372xp (any saw challange the maktia 7901) would make a vid on say a 2 ft log say. see what cuts better as some people think it will out cut a 66 and other dont think so and post the vid if its a good suggestion then great if not then sorry

just wondering if someone had a ms 660, 650, 460, 441 maktia 7901 or a 372xp (any saw challange the maktia 7901) would make a vid on say a 2 ft log say. see what cuts better as some people think it will out cut a 66 and other dont think so and post the vid if its a good suggestion then great if not then sorry

Speed and power are different things. my 440 will outcut my 660 on a 2ft log, but the 440 will not pull a 3ft bar. Sorry not an answer but trying to establish the context

ok mate fair point say like for like other wise it ent a fair test. the most common bar i seem to here about is a 25inch bar this is a interesting topic to me as i have a 024 and in looking to get a bigger saw to if people can get vids even if it ent got the maktia 7901 and say has 460 25 inch vs a 25 inch 372xp thats would be great

Well, had chance to give the new 7900 a warm up and a try out on the timber pile this morning, semms really nicely balanced, revs like billy oh and plenty of grunt too. Postie turned up with 28" Oregon Power match foor it about 1/2hour after I'd fired it up with 18" standard bar. Had a swap over to the 28", not done any serious cutting but still not bad balance especially when held horizontal as for a felling cut. Seems to have plenty enough acceleration and grunt with the bigger bar. I hope it is as good as it appears to be on first impressions especially as comes in for under £400 ex vat and delivery and even the bigger bar chain only adds on another £80. Surely I can't have found a really genuine bargain after 40 years of trying:sneaky2:

where did you buy your makita from?

Bill

I resorted to online shopping for my 7900 it came from Lawson HIS.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk seemed to be the cheapest ones online at £398.51 ex vat plus a measly £4.25 carriage, only minus point seems to be that most makita dealers only sell what's in the box ie an 18" bar so you have to source your own bigger bar (which I think is same as Husqvarna fitting), which again I bought online, if you're interested, from http://www.newsawchains.co.uk but give them a ring and they will give you trade prices which are a lot lower than website prices shocking not supporting local dealers but I don't have that many big dealers within easy reach nor the time to go driving off to buy stuff!

I bought a 7901 a couple of weeks ago from

http://www.elmershardware.co.uk

based in suffolk I think. Came in at £449 inc vat with free carriage. Quick service, but not had chance to use the saw yet. Been a bit unsure about makita petrol stuff in the past having hired stuff where switches and bits have fallen off, generally not feeling as robust as stihl which is what i'm used to. Maybe just been unlucky.

This looks ok, not sure about the chain tensioner though, but like I said, not used yet so too early to comment. Nearly 200 quid cheaper than an equivalent swung the decision and I actually quite like blue.:001_smile:

I just brought a 390xp ..first husky ive ever brought after using stihls for 10 yrs. Got it mainly on price £454+vat and the dealer is decent and local. It pulls a 36" bar no probs and runs sweet apart from the dead mans trigger flew out last week

Thats a great price, may i ask where you got it from and is that the same price for everyone?