One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

Yesterday working alongside a friend, clearing out small stuff suitable for charcoal, when I noticed an odd smell. It came and went and I thought it might be a sign of something amiss. Then I realised, the smell was only present when his pump-mixed MS 260 was working close by. Ok, so 'A' is more expensive. But for the reasons I've previously mentioned plus yesterday's reminder, I'm quite happy I decided to run Aspen.

An ultra-refined, modified hydrocarbon fuel, which gives the fuel stability and a more consistent flash/ignition point

Aspen 2 is also a premix equal to 50:1 for 2-stroke engines.

Aspen 4T is for 4-stroke engines. And if you have a multi-fuel liquid burner and use 'Colemans' white petrol, you'll do yourself a favour by switching to Aspen 4T. It's cheaper and leaves less carbon deposits in the burner jets, so less field servicing is needed. Plus it hasn't that typical petrol smell.

Both good answers.

A full description of Aspen Fuel can be found at

Aspen Fuel :: Aspen Alkylate Petrol

But, briefly, Aspen fuel is produced in an 'alkylation' process at a small number of refineries. Put very simply, the gases from the refinery are distilled to produce a very pure form of petrol.

It is the same octane rating as normal unleaded fuel, but only contains aroun 10% of the chemicals. The 90% that have been distilled out are not needed.

It was those surplus ingredients that are responsible for the chemical reactions that take place in pump fuel from the moment it is produced.

They are the cause of fuel going 'stale' and forming residiues.

A large proportion of those surplus ingredients are 'solvents', it is these that cause rubber, plastics and even aluminium alloy to slowly dissolve.

And these chemicals are also responsible for most of the nasty emissions from the exhaust.

As Aspen has none of these nasties, it is chemically stable and will last for years (3-5) without going off, so it can safely be left in the machine, or the can, with no deterioration.

The exhaust gases are extremely clean in comparison to pump fuel, so operators feel better without the headaches, nausea, sore eyes, smelly clothes etc that you tend to get with pump petrol. Not to mention the long term helth damage that could be caused by the carcinogenic benzene and sulphur present in petrol, but absent from Aspen.

Because of the 'clean burn' the engines stay clean, plugs do not foul, exhausts to not carbon up and a longer engine life can be expected.

There are no claims of better performance, but many users report easier starting, very slightly higher revs under load, more even running and even that they get reduced consumption.

Aspen is available as straight petrol (4 stroke) or with 2% high grade synthetic oil added (50:1) for 2 stroke use.

As the fuel is stable, the oil does not seperate from the fuel as it does in degrading pump fuel, so maximum engine lubrication is ensured.

Scan this thread from the beginning for examples of the problems caused by stale fuel.

Happy reading!

well my echo chainsaw, went back to aspen as soon as the old two stroke had gone from carb saw changed ticks over starts first time pick it up away it goes. no smell anymore. its a no brainer using normal pump fuel. i can get aspen if i buy 3 or more for £14 a can normal fuel £7 a can plus 2 stroke mix. maybe 50% cheaper but will stick with aspen and i still believe my gear runs longer on aspen can not prove it.

Both good answers.

A full description of Aspen Fuel can be found at

Aspen Fuel :: Aspen Alkylate Petrol

But, briefly, Aspen fuel is produced in an 'alkylation' process at a small number of refineries. Put very simply, the gases from the refinery are distilled to produce a very pure form of petrol.

It is the same octane rating as normal unleaded fuel, but only contains aroun 10% of the chemicals. The 90% that have been distilled out are not needed.

It was those surplus ingredients that are responsible for the chemical reactions that take place in pump fuel from the moment it is produced.

They are the cause of fuel going 'stale' and forming residiues.

A large proportion of those surplus ingredients are 'solvents', it is these that cause rubber, plastics and even aluminium alloy to slowly dissolve.

And these chemicals are also responsible for most of the nasty emissions from the exhaust.

As Aspen has none of these nasties, it is chemically stable and will last for years (3-5) without going off, so it can safely be left in the machine, or the can, with no deterioration.

The exhaust gases are extremely clean in comparison to pump fuel, so operators feel better without the headaches, nausea, sore eyes, smelly clothes etc that you tend to get with pump petrol. Not to mention the long term helth damage that could be caused by the carcinogenic benzene and sulphur present in petrol, but absent from Aspen.

Because of the 'clean burn' the engines stay clean, plugs do not foul, exhausts to not carbon up and a longer engine life can be expected.

There are no claims of better performance, but many users report easier starting, very slightly higher revs under load, more even running and even that they get reduced consumption.

Aspen is available as straight petrol (4 stroke) or with 2% high grade synthetic oil added (50:1) for 2 stroke use.

As the fuel is stable, the oil does not seperate from the fuel as it does in degrading pump fuel, so maximum engine lubrication is ensured.

Scan this thread from the beginning for examples of the problems caused by stale fuel.

Happy reading!

good evening just a small question to you i was in a large garden sales shop in a city northwest of you and i was enquiring about aspen as i had some other stuff to pick up, and i explained that i was concerned about the quality of the pump petrol, and would it be sensible to use aspen in my old vintage saws and villiers engines and they advised me not too use it as it will burn to hot and it could do more damage than normal top grade pump petrol with fuel fit added and husqvarna 2 stroke oil

i was hoping you could tell me if this is true or not

thanks shavey