Environmental Permits from Env. Agency for carrying waste

hesslemount

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how you feel, but for fifty a year is it worth it. Just look at it as an involuntary contribution to the EA.

Trouble is where does it stop, we must be one of the most regulated trades there is, or should I say us tax paying tree Surgeons.

Enough is enough. I cannot and do not see wood or chip (which we sell on to a consumer to use), as waste.

My big down fall is when something gets my goat and I know I'm right, I will not let go and will fight to the bitter end, which I will do

Me thinks that Skyhuck's nailed it here with this link. Calling all tree surgeons:

Virgin timber (everything we cut from trees) is de-regulated as waste as long as we use the chippings as woodchip, compost, bedding and the wood for fuel. If you have primarily folliage chippings bury them under the wood chip!

Under this Env Agency regulation no tree surgeon is carrying WASTE if it's under the above and therefore none of us require a waste carrier's licence.

Cheers Skyhuck Reckon you've saved lots of tree monkeys £50 p.a. :001_tongue:and caused lots of prosecuted ones to start up their belated appeals:mad1:.

Rich (The Tree Surgeon's Che Guevara - well not quite)

Not really down to me mate, it was "quick thorn" who put the link up on another thread.

I've had some indirect conversations with the head of many things (including waste regulation) for EA at a national level. He's aware of the glich and agrees it's not their intention to penalise people using wood as a fuel or mulch. There is a gap between the legislation and the application and they're working on it (hence the positioning statement posted by Quickthorn). Unfortunately this does not stop the over zealous / incorrect application of the legislation.

As an example of how messed up it can get, he told me the following example,

A person gets some used coffee grounds from Starbucks. The idea is that they add them to their compost heap at home (good for the heap in some way).

By the letter of the law that person needs a waste carriers licence, as they are transporting commercial waste for private benefit.

No, the agency are not going to chase people for it, but the letter of the law says it's illegal!

For the record I've a copy of the statement laminated and in the glove box as the VOSA boys etal are often in a nearby layby. Not had to test it yet:ohmy:

Cheers Lee

If all the guys without one had spent as much time filling in the application form as they did complaining about it on here it would be on the office doormat before you tip off your next load of "virgin timber"

Are you French?

It was our sort of attitude that won the war!!

Its not the money!!

Its about NOT bending over and taking it!!! just cause some tosser in a suit tells you to!!!