Environmental Permits from Env. Agency for carrying waste

hesslemount

Anybody know if it's easier to get one now, i.e can you now ring up and get one over the phone, or do you still need to send off for the form, fill it in, post the cheque, wait 3 months for it to come through.....

Rob

You have to fill in a form.I only had to wait a couple of weeks before the license arrived. On the spot fine of £300 if you dont have one,and then the £150 on top. After the first three years the next three drops to £90. When you do get it make sure you carry it.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just realised that mine has lapsed, does that mean I will have to pay the full 150 or the 90. I sense a phone call coming on. Luckily my tip sites have all the details on file..... Last time I had an absolut nightmare getting one, It took nearly 4 months from the first phone call. I don't mind complying but why make it so awkward. Any body got the telephone number to hand whilst I'm doing admin this morning?

Rob

You can download the form on the environment Agency website or just call them and they will send you one. I cant remeber but I thing ours came in a couple of weeks.

The only exemptions of waste are:

1. Waste producers carrying only their own waste, except building or demolition waste.

2. Persons transporting waste which comprises only animal by-products.

3. Persons transporting only mines and quarries waste or only agricultural waste.

It's annoying because I'm exempt under #1 When I spoke to them they agreed that because I have a contract in which I decide if and when to remove by products I am actually generating them and therefore exempt. Unfortunately for private jobs and minor property repairs that we do on site I am not exempt so do need one for that aspect.

Rob

Right here is the "bottom line" direct from a phone conversation with the Environment Agency. If you go to a client and it is YOUR decision to prune a branch or take down the tree etc. then the waste is YOUR waste. If it's your own waste you DO NOT require a waste carrier's licence! However if it is the CLIENT'S decision to remove the branch(es) or take the tree down then it is THEIR waste and therefore you need a waste carrier's licence to carry SOMEONE ELSES waste. Interesting what Big Boss Beechwood said above^. Has this been tried and tested? Always good to give two fingers to the beaurocrats with a clever little loop hole.

Would have to be a very bored anally retentetive environment agency person that would attempt a prosecution if he was carrying stuff he'd been sold..... I don't mind having to have one given that part of my business definitely does require me to have one. I object to the fact I can't ring up buy one job done, to many forms and waiting periods. I also object to the fact that it doesn't stop and possibly encourages people to fl tip if they can't get rid of their waste at a legetimate tip site.

Rob

Right here is the "bottom line" direct from a phone conversation with the Environment Agency. If you go to a client and it is YOUR decision to prune a branch or take down the tree etc. then the waste is YOUR waste. If it's your own waste you DO NOT require a waste carrier's licence! However if it is the CLIENT'S decision to remove the branch(es) or take the tree down then it is THEIR waste and therefore you need a waste carrier's licence to carry SOMEONE ELSES waste. Interesting what Big Boss Beechwood said above^. Has this been tried and tested? Always good to give two fingers to the beaurocrats with a clever little loop hole.

Not tried or tested mate, just my thought on a possible loop hole for anyone wishing to have a go!, I have the licence and dont see what the fuss is about you basically need one, the only hassle is filling in a form and writing a cheque then its job done forget about it for 3 years.

If you sign into the contract when undertaking the tree work that you will purchase the logs and chip from the customer once the work is completed (for a £1) it no longer becomes waste so if you do less than 50 jobs a year it may be cost effective!!!

I thought along these lines, if nothing more than to get one over on the govt.What you say is true.I thought maybe bump the quote up by a tenner to leave the debris and an obvious reduction to remove.Youre qoutes would in effect remain the same but the customer would think he,s getting something for nothing possibly swinging the job youre way.And on top of that youve saved £150.