First Aid at work course and Cellox!!!!!

HRG Tree Services

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've done ABC forestry based first aid courses, and on last one was told not to use Cellox. (didnt say I always had a packet stuffed in my chainsaw trouser pocket). was not given clear reason why, but instructor indicated it could cause more problems than help.

Anyway I took the packet out of my pocket and threw it away.

I have recently added to our kits some scissors that cut off chainsaw trousers and a very large bottle of eyewash(FC require this in first aid kits), the little sachets of eyewashes are no good for real eye injurys.

So most of your work is in the deepest darkest forests in England miles from any hospital virtually no phone signal and you just chucked away what potentially could save some ones life... I would not consider using celox for most things we all know it causes complications on reconstruction surgery and is a pain for surgeons to remove but if some one has had there throat ripped out on say a widow maker or saw,I think it has a pretty good place in your first aid box.

There is a danger that people will come to regard haemostatic agents like cellox as a magic bullet. There is no question that haemostats have their place but nothing stops bleeding like direct pressure.

Knowledge and proper training are the answer, anyone at risk form a cut should be certain that those around them know how to render the correct aid.

I challenge one and all to try an experiment, at a convenient moment during the working day feign a hand injury by covering the hand under your other arm as you would do if it were hurt, look alarmed and send whoever you are working with to bring the first aid kit. Time how long it takes them and bear in mind that you can bleed out in less than 4 minutes. The results will sober you up.

Anyone had first hand experience with cellox on a major bleed?

Didn't it save a climbers life a couple of months back when he cut his neck,seem to remember this on the news.

That was Tom Connelly. There's a bit about it on the Buxtons site here Arb Kit Review: Lifesaving Celox Haemostatic Granules in Focus - Buxtons Blog - Arborist & Forestry Equipment

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished the first day of my FAW ticket, over the course of the day this came up. the course provider is the red cross and the trainer believes that not only can I not even use Haemostatic granules but they are also carsonogenic..... I have a HSE kit and my own peosonal kit in the van. I carry an impregnated dressing on my belt and have extras in the van.

I'm not even allowed to carry a personal kit according to him as HSE will also investigate it's contents in the event of a serious incident.

So, any one come across this? Once upon a time as a Kayaking instructor I always carried a work kit and a personal kit which was recomended. I know I've not been on a course for 4 years but have things changed that much that I can't even carry a personal kit?

Alex