First Aid at work course and Cellox!!!!!

HRG Tree Services

There is absolutly nothing wrong with having celox and using it or anything else that takes your fancy but the whole point of the HSE course is to standardise your first aid knowledge with everyone else. Your green first aid kit should not contain anything extra but you can have extra stuff with you on your person if you want, of course you can.

And you can have in house training or discussions on what is suitable for each person. For years my first aid kit on my harness contained Golden virginia and rizzlas!!

I didn,t know you could,t put xtra stuff in you first aid kit. I thought the contents list was a minimum requirement

I,ve used a similar product to celox twice and a+e thought it was great stuff.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, its a minumum and maximum requirement, nothing extra should be in the official green box. Thats for HSE requirements. Once thats met you can have as much extra stuff somewhere else as you like. So if you want paracetemol at work then take them but dont put them in the green box.

No, its a minumum and maximum requirement, nothing extra should be in the official green box. Thats for HSE requirements. Once thats met you can have as much extra stuff somewhere else as you like. So if you want paracetemol at work then take them but dont put them in the green box.

But the HSE do not make mandatory contents lists for first aid kits.it's up to your risk management planning to work that out. Now In Arb the fwag guides may recommend diiferently

The HSE offer advice on best practice. They may suggest lists of kit which will vary depending on the numbers or people reliant on a single kit or even the type of operating environment/industry.

Basic first aid at work is as has been said, just that, and is the same if you work in the chippy, insurers office, fire service or even the HSE offices. There are tailored first aid courses out there for specific risks, like the arb world.

But the HSE do not make mandatory contents lists for first aid kits.it's up to your risk management planning to work that out. Now In Arb the fwag guides may recommend diiferently

Yes, I believe you need to do a specific first aid assessment and plan/carry kit accordingly but the green box still needs to contain specific stuff so that when you crash on the way home soemone else could use your standardised kit.

My specific RA concluded that we need extra wound dressings and eyewash so we carry these in addition to the green standard kit. And we coudl have decided to carry celox as well, as said there is nothing wrong with it.

My point is the FAW course is a standard course for people at work in offices or in tree work, no differnet and the instructor has no reason to go into celox.

I did a ABC Response first Aid course last year. Specifically aimed at the Arb and Forestry sector.

We were told it is never a good idea to use CELOX. As stated it makes treating the injury at A&E considerably more difficult.

Hopefully we will never have to find out.

when i did my first "first aid" training many many years ago, we were taught techniques that many paramedics today havent even heard of, as rupe says the "green box" is a basic standard that fits a multitude of industries, what extra you choose to carry to suit your needs is up to you, I personally carry celox, in granular form, and in an impregnated battlefield dressing, and if the injury is severe enough to warrant its use, I will use it. you have to ask yourself "how long to get to your nearest A&E" and wiegh that against the severity of blood loss. yes casualty departments dont like it, its a pain to clean out of a wound, BUT it does work. and it has saved lives,if your going to carry it, get the proper training and information on its use (ask at your nearest hospitall trauma unit) and keep doing the std first aid courses, they may save your mates life some day.

I am an HSE qualified First Aid Instructor and this is my take on the questions/issues above.

Industry standard First Aid at Work courses are set to a specific agenda, and the Instructor if not informed or knowledgable about Cellox or similiar products will not cover it because of lack of knowledge or fear of the unknown.

It may be that they will not discuss/cover the issue because they feel they are not informed and therefore not insured to cover.

They could however, inform you of the uses of the product and leave it up to you to make an informed decisionas to whether you use it or not.

Whether you include in your general Green First Aid kit is questionable - I will check up on this - due to the liability that this would leave you open to. Basically somewone uninformed or untrained using it in the wrong manner or place!?

However, I think that each member of a team should carry or have one in the central kit - thats my opinion.

As I said I am a First Aid Instructor/Expedition Medic, in addition to running my own Tree business. I am considering running some First Aid courses with a bias to our industry or perhaps more appropriate an Emergency and Rescue day - covering chainsaw/Rope/Climbing Injuries and Incidents.

Anyone interested pm me with a contact number and I'll give you a call.

Chris