First Aid at work course and Cellox!!!!!

HRG Tree Services

I was impressed by your comments until you said not insured to cover, Id be very interested, and will in fact apologise if your insurance specifies that you cannot cover certain topics. Sorry it's a pet hate of mine with people hiding behind we're not insured for that. I agree with someone saying their not going to cover it because they are not sufficiently informed about it, but to say your not insured is imo nonsense

R

I specifically said them, not me or anyone I know, have worked or work with - I would def cover anything that I can that is relevant to trainees particular work enviroment. But some people will or are instructed to hide behind stuff that is usually excuses, or ignorance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair does, sounds like were singing from the same song sheet, and accordingly I do apologise. Good to see that people aren't trying to cover up/hide not knowing under the banner of an insurance issue.

R

R

I totally agree with you on the hiding behind insurance excuse. Appology not required but greatfully received.

Q4: What should I put in the first-aid box?

There is no mandatory list of items to put in a first-aid box. It depends on what you assess your needs to be. As a guide, where work activities involve low hazards, a minimum stock of first-aid items might be.........: Quote from HSE

I would wager that if you are carrying the "generic" First Aid kit that is peddled by suppliers that your "First Aid" kit may be lacking in content as it is designed for "low hazard" situations.

I agree that we are brain washed into thinking we know what should be in a First Aid box by their suppliers, but do we really consider its contents. And yes I agree that it is better than nothing, but when it hits the fan, it may not been enough.

I am not buying into this Standard kit nonsense for our sector - its a bit like a generic risk assessment, you need to add in a site specific.

First Aid training for box ticking is better than nothing. We train every member of staff in First Aid and always tell the trainer our profession in advance. I want our teams to be able to react to an industry specific situation as well as general first aid. I also think its a good idea to get them to add in about enfants as some of us have young families. It takes a little time to cover.

There, I've got that out of my system - better now:001_smile:

I am fully sold on the idea of the Arb Aid kit. It's been designed for the job and has what you need in it, without the added shirt that you don't need. When I was working for myself I had a 10 person first aid box in the van, it had in it;

Alcohol Free Wipes

Gloves (pair)

Guidance leaflet

Large dressing

Medium Dressings No. 16 Eyepad

Plasters

Safety pins

Triangular bandages

In bold is what I think is vagually usefull. Looking at the arb aid kit you can tell it is made for the job, every item is an essential and well layed out and easy to get to.

Compared to a pair of top of the range trousers which will not stop a bigger saw/faster chain (£200+?) I think it makes perfect sense to shell out £300.

I am fully sold on the idea of the Arb Aid kit. It's been designed for the job and has what you need in it, without the added shirt that you don't need. When I was working for myself I had a 10 person first aid box in the van, it had in it;

Alcohol Free Wipes

Gloves (pair)

Guidance leaflet

Large dressing

Medium Dressings No. 16 Eyepad

Plasters

Safety pins

Triangular bandages

In bold is what I think is vagually usefull. Looking at the arb aid kit you can tell it is made for the job, every item is an essential and well layed out and easy to get to.

Compared to a pair of top of the range trousers which will not stop a bigger saw/faster chain (£200+?) I think it makes perfect sense to shell out £300.

I agree and was only referring to the generic basic kits. I think the arbaid guys are to be commended for taking things to higher level.:001_smile:

celox and its like cause the blood to clot really quick, it turns any blood to jelly, all of which needs to be removed before any repairs by A n E do, which can be a problem if there is internal damage, though for heavy arterial bleeding and severances it is rather useful, or so ive been told... i always keep a pouch in my harness kit,

We have just had our 6 month first aid refresher and our instructor had not heard of Cellox but was most interested when we told her about it. From her point of view she had no issue with us using it although, to be fair, she didn't know anything about it. We asked our H&S officer, area manager etc and they have no issues with us using it either. I made the decision to get one of the impregnated bandages and for both climbers to carry one each on their harness first aid kit. I figure that if one of us has a serious or arterial bleed up a tree then we'd be better hedging our bets and carrying the stuff just in case. I'm more than happy to take the rap if A&E have an issue with that and I'm sure they'll be less worried about cleaning out the jelly resulting from its application than they are with cleaning up after the drunks on a weekend.

As for the minimum/maximum kit requirements; we can have as much in the kit as we want.

We've done ABC forestry based first aid courses, and on last one was told not to use Cellox. (didnt say I always had a packet stuffed in my chainsaw trouser pocket). was not given clear reason why, but instructor indicated it could cause more problems than help.

Anyway I took the packet out of my pocket and threw it away.

I have recently added to our kits some scissors that cut off chainsaw trousers and a very large bottle of eyewash(FC require this in first aid kits), the little sachets of eyewashes are no good for real eye injurys.

Edited by StephF
Bad spelling