Are we reasonabLe on price

Dean Lofthouse

Nice to have a client who can apreciate value for money,its a tough trade we are in,both on your wallet & your body,& takes a certain type of character to pull it off year in year out.

The lady sounds a darling,bless her.:thumbup1:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what overheads does he have?? Very little I would think, van, tools insurance. The insurance will be nowhere near tree surgeons insurance. Then there is all the saws and chipper, waste carrying licence etc.:)

He has a large rates bill for a start,maybe more than a lot of people There is also stock and machines to consider.

He can also wait upto a year to get payed.

Plumbers have the same waste licence as everybody else,SEPA up here.

Everybody is having a hard time at present unless your out for a fast buck.

Some people appreciate what you do and who you are.

Until recently I did some regular work for an elderly Lady, 98 years old. I have done all maintenance for about 5 years, coz she won't have anyone else in.

She passed away early December, I was invited to the funeral and received thanks from all the family for looking after her and her garden!

She moved into the house in 1937 and the pair of semi's were the first built on a huge development plot - just fields for acres and acres around them.

She had all sorts of stories to tell - Spitfire had a dogfight with a ME109 and shot it down - it crashed in the field behind the house. She was a true Lady in the old sense of the word!

I received this note in a New Years card from her Daughter, who is in her 70's:

"Just a few lines to thank you for keeping Mum’s garden at 44 ******** ***(as she wanted it to look) I know you had a bit of a trial with her in 2011 but that was how she was, I have taken so many photo’s of the garden (thank goodness) as it is the end of an era."

Garden as it looked recently:

59765fdd3f477_Verasgarden.jpg.d63e1b15842a92491888c15b1932f243.jpg

Such a shame this isn't the norm....

As said we are truly an undervalued profession.... :sneaky2:

Our time will come (I hope)!

Its only cutting down trees, there are some folk in the world who can do 2 rolly pollys and think they deserve a place at the olympics:laugh1:

Some people appreciate what you do and who you are.

Until recently I did some regular work for an elderly Lady, 98 years old. I have done all maintenance for about 5 years, coz she won't have anyone else in.

She passed away early December, I was invited to the funeral and received thanks from all the family for looking after her and her garden!

She moved into the house in 1937 and the pair of semi's were the first built on a huge development plot - just fields for acres and acres around them.

She had all sorts of stories to tell - Spitfire had a dogfight with a ME109 and shot it down - it crashed in the field behind the house. She was a true Lady in the old sense of the word!

I received this note in a New Years card from her Daughter, who is in her 70's:

"Just a few lines to thank you for keeping Mum’s garden at 44 ******** ***(as she wanted it to look) I know you had a bit of a trial with her in 2011 but that was how she was, I have taken so many photo’s of the garden (thank goodness) as it is the end of an era."

Garden as it looked recently:

That, however, is a nice story.

Its only cutting down trees, there are some folk in the world who can do 2 rolly pollys and think they deserve a place at the olympics:laugh1:

I can do three so just give me the gold:lol:

We call them tumble a monkeys not rolly pollys as they were big fat dancing ladies:biggrin:

We all know that its very easy to go in with a low price when thats the only job you've had the opportunity to price all week.

Much harder to give that potential client a price that you are going to make a good profit on after all your blood sweat and tears.

I priced a massive eucy sunday morning overhanging 2 other pristine gardens and a summerhouse with every last inch of it lowered and dragged through a 3ft gate at £600.She nearly fell over. When i asked her whats the cheapest quote she's had so far she said £150.

We all know that its very easy to go in with a low price when thats the only job you've had the opportunity to price all week.

Much harder to give that potential client a price that you are going to make a good profit on after all your blood sweat and tears.

I priced a massive eucy sunday morning overhanging 2 other pristine gardens and a summerhouse with every last inch of it lowered and dragged through a 3ft gate at £600.She nearly fell over. When i asked her whats the cheapest quote she's had so far she said £150.

She's pulling your chain.