Best gloves for Hawthorne

Derek Trimblits

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welding gloves/gauntlets are pants!:thumbdown: They last me about two or three days when hedge-laying, then the seems start to give and thorns always come through the back of the glove to get wedged in between the bones on your knuckles.:thumbdown:

I lay hedges for a living, do nought else all winter and there is only one glove, it's these Ripeur 2 :: Safety Hut : World class personal protective equipment for industry :thumbup1:

Now I hear you say what? £25 for a pair of gloves?! Try them, what's £25 nowadays, not enough to get you drunk on a good night out, not enough to get you laid on a bad night either.

I bought a pair before last winter, and I still use them. I have used them hard. They do get slippery when wet, but that is just unavoidable with leather gloves.

When you get them they'll seem too small (they were very tight on me anyway) but they break in in a day or two. Easily the best gloves I've ever taken to a hedge and I've tried many different kinds.

I tried a comparison once with a fencing contractor who was bragging a bit, we both grabbed hold of one end of a piece of barbed wire and had a tug of war. He won, he winced and grunted, huffed and puffed and pulled harder than I did. Then he took his "special barb-wire" gloves off to reveal his bleeding fingers, mine are as soft as a baby's bottom.:biggrin:

Welding gloves/gauntlets are pants!:thumbdown: They last me about two or three days when hedge-laying, then the seems start to give and thorns always come through the back of the glove to get wedged in between the bones on your knuckles.:thumbdown:

I lay hedges for a living, do nought else all winter and there is only one glove, it's these Ripeur 2 :: Safety Hut : World class personal protective equipment for industry :thumbup1:

Now I hear you say what? £25 for a pair of gloves?! Try them, what's £25 nowadays, not enough to get you drunk on a good night out, not enough to get you laid on a bad night either.

I bought a pair before last winter, and I still use them. I have used them hard. They do get slippery when wet, but that is just unavoidable with leather gloves.

When you get them they'll seem too small (they were very tight on me anyway) but they break in in a day or two. Easily the best gloves I've ever taken to a hedge and I've tried many different kinds.

I tried a comparison once with a fencing contractor who was bragging a bit, we both grabbed hold of one end of a piece of barbed wire and had a tug of war. He won, he winced and grunted, huffed and puffed and pulled harder than I did. Then he took his "special barb-wire" gloves off to reveal his bleeding fingers, mine are as soft as a baby's bottom.:biggrin:

if they are as good as you say then £25 is nothing,you would pay that for a pair of chainsaw gloves,althought nobody wears them these days..