phone cables

xringphil

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illegal? Which law would you violate by disconnecting and reconnecting a phone line leading into to a client's property?

The apparatus right up to the subscriber box in the house belongs to BT and you aren’t allowed to mess with it.

Interfering with the apparatus is also an offence under the telecommunications act although a prosecution for moving the line is unlikely.

one trick we use....lob a throw bag over the cable then a rope and pull the cable right or left, and tie it off, moves around 2-3ft so could be enough for the drops:thumbup:

And, if you unwind the line off the “pigtail” on the property and take it out of the clips you can get a huuuuge bend into the line, you arent supposed to but given BT's attitude it's no surprise people resort to self help.

And, if you unwind the line off the “pigtail” on the property and take it out of the clips you can get a huuuuge bend into the line, you arent supposed to but given BT's attitude it's no surprise people resort to self help.

haha, did that @ a job in barwick last wk ,unwound it & laid it on the floor :lol:

Yes, its essential that the tree workers do not phone BT to say the line is broken even if it was a genuine accident. The person who's line it is must make the call, use their customer number and report the fault.

I did it last year, hedge trimming. I was really careful, then the customer came out and said something annoying which put me off, next thing I know I have snipped the line!!

After I left they reported an unknown fault, and it was fixed the next day, no dramas.

I had the exact same thing happen hedge trimming , and with the same out come. :thumbup:

I had the exact same thing happen hedge trimming , and with the same out come. :thumbup:

I am not proud to admit it, but I think I have done it four times (in 18 years) and have had the same outcome every time, so I now consider it to be the right thing today.

I once tried to get BT to take down 8 wires through a plane tree (it really was the only option to remove them first) and ended up talking to a girl in india who could simply not concieve of what I was saying.

She couldn't comprehend why the wires were not at my house but at someone elses. All I wanted was a price or to find out if it was even possible to get them removed for a day. Eventually she said she understood so I though I was gettign somewhere and then she said she ahd all the information and the lines were booked to come down tomorrow!!! I hadnt even quoted for the job so I said dont bother.

Eventually another company got the job but all they did was talk to an engineer who was havign a cuppa, got a mobile number for the main engineer in the area and spoke to him directly and it all got organised easy peasy.

So it can be done, but you need to go straight to the right person and not through a BT call centre!!

depends on the length, last one we did was only 20ft long.

Gotcha.

BT seem to be missing a trick here.

If they had a standard charge of say £50 for dropping a line I'm sure we would all use the service a fair bit, and they would generate more cash and have less 'accidentally' broken lines to fix.