council competing against us! disgusting!

simonm

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I for one can't believe that this is happening as a 'council'. When I first started working for the LA I was working for the Direct Services Organisation which was part of the council but we worked on the customer/client basis with us having our work checked by the council although we were guaranteed the work. We were also allowed to tender for other jobs but when all fuel, labour and other costs were taken out we were only allowed to make a maximum of 5% profit and that was being a 'contractor' to the council. It seems a bit strange that the LAs can directly compete and make money as everyone is describing. Surely has to be more to it than meets the eye

the council squad round here do hommers all the time pocket the money and use the council equipment corrupt yep they are all the same they get a wage payed by us use equipment payed by us but yet there is stuff lying around on council property thats dangerouse and a mess

Some LA arb crews work as business units, so have to self fund. Its a bit like being an internal contractor. They do not get funding direct from the council and all kit is bought buy the profit made over the year. So to make anough money to cover wages/overheads/equipment etc they have to get some privite contracts.

I have seen an LA crew leave privite contractors for dead.

Some LA arb crews work as business units, so have to self fund. Its a bit like being an internal contractor. They do not get funding direct from the council and all kit is bought buy the profit made over the year. So to make anough money to cover wages/overheads/equipment etc they have to get some privite contracts.

yr an l/a boy then :biggrin:

Private contractors? or p***kys?

Some of you on here talk if us council workers dont pay tax or council tax , my comments yesterday were tongue in cheek , thats why i referred to going fishing , the good old days have long gone , cut backs are that hard now you would not believe , we have also had a pay freeze on our wages for the 3rd consecutive year , its all ok by me as long as there are no job cuts , on our department if you cut any more there would be no one left ..I can under stand peoples frustrations about councils under cutting them as you say but in many circumstances i can not see how , take our department every thing is leased so you have to pay for that , you have to pay the gang for doing the job 3 mens wages x £26 an hour , secetarys wage , supervisors wage , managers wage , councillors wage , there are just to many on costs in my opinion ..also if you were any good you should be winning these jobs i sense alot of bitterness of quite a few of you , dont blame the man /woman on the tools blame top brass in the ivory towers , good luck all , be safe .