council competing against us! disgusting!

simonm

A leaflet came here this evening from a Christian place that said is now using people who have been in prison and now released and will do gardens/tree work/rubbish removal at reduced rates to those from commercial firms.

Back to original can we go to a local council work depot and loan the machines there at reduced rates as someone had posted?

I believe i have as much right to use the LA's chipper as they do , now that were competing for the same work ? Level playing field , right ? Ran out of time today but I'm definetely going in next week to find out .

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for the council and i am off into work this morning to borrow the van and chipper to do private jobs as you call it and make about £500 on top of my £21k plus £6k ( stand by ) plus £10k overtime all for leaning on a shovel as some of you put it , 20 years plus experience and passionate about trees and horticulture but has no idea about jack as some of you say , Carwyn Jones made a statement that if we dont find work we wont have any so basically get out there and fight for it , i will be fighting tooth and nail , good luck .

One small point on this issue, but I'm sure that somewhere back in the mists of time, all council work was done by council workers, all rail work was done by rail workers, highways work was done by highways workers, well you catch my drift. That system did not work efficiently, costs were high, workers were notorious for their lack of work, unions had too much power and we paid through the nose for the "service" that was barely provided. NOw we have a competitive Market, where people have to work for a wage, actually produce something, and here we are still moaning about the system. The old ways did not work, the new way works, but not how we like it. I can remember the days when the unions fought to keep their comrades in jobs, and fought the privatisation, it wasn't that long ago....was it?

One of my LA's tree team has started started doing private work, when I first found out I was very angry. I think its totally wrong and unfair.

However, after talking to the guys on the tree team it was a case one of them being made redundant or doing private work to cover his wage.

While it really ticks me off, I don't want any one to lose their job, so I hope it works out for them and that it does not have to much of an affect on my business.

The same goes for charging for TPO's to come on site before an application, it used to be free, now its £30 (or just apply without a site meeting) but apparently these new charges for these and other planing services are going to save 13 job.

Times are tough and I don't want to see anyone losing their jobs.

Is it a question about people loseing there jobs or who dose the jobs (work) because if the work is lost to the public sector the private sector will pick it up and employ the very same people to do the work and visa versa.

I work for the council and i am off into work this morning to borrow the van and chipper to do private jobs as you call it and make about £500 on top of my £21k plus £6k ( stand by ) plus £10k overtime all for leaning on a shovel as some of you put it , 20 years plus experience and passionate about trees and horticulture but has no idea about jack as some of you say , Carwyn Jones made a statement that if we dont find work we wont have any so basically get out there and fight for it , i will be fighting tooth and nail , good luck .

Private jobs for yourself (i.e. your name is on the invoice/you take the cash) or private jobs that the council is doing?

If your boss reads this i doubt you will be borrowing anything again unless you pay the appropriate fees and even then..

Or is this a windup?

born2trot, Dont go into the yard expecting to get anything because its not up to them to hire direct.

You need to contact the transport division because a lot of the bigger stuff is on a lease to the concil.They then hire (manage)out everything to each dept.