fines for doing work on tpo trees

pward

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as stated in my first post i no this..but sometimes when the jobs come through at least 3 reputable firms you'd think it was legit...

i wouldnt of expected the tree surgeon guy who the 2nd lanscaper used to do it or my climber but the others i 100% would..

civil case?? i followed him home from work after months of him ignoring my calls..emails etc.. he wasn't so cocky after that..

So even though you accept it was your fault for not checking, you still hit the bloke?

Or did you hit him because he owed you money?

My experience is that the longer the chain of contractors and sub-contractors the more likely obfuscation is the reason. Often the landowner will know full well the presence of TPO's as it's in their deeds.

Developers are the worst. Often however if their are errors in the LA paperwork, and there usually is, the TPO may be invalidated on a technicality. Helliwell is a reasonable system and simple to use, though open to subjectivity. I forget what the current £/point is at the moment but it doesn't take long for the points to add up. Even a small tree can get into the £000's.

How about this... I have a job booked in. It's big pops in a field just off a lane. There are some really nice trees in the field (Pines and Oaks etc, that we are not touching). Owner had a felling licence from the FC for these pops, only the 5 years ran out last year. We met with the chap from the FC who said there shouldn't be any problem with renewal of the felling licence, however he told us we could reduce them without the felling licence. They have a tons of dead wood and damage so the work needs to be done.

What I want to know is this..... if they are under the jurisdiction of the FC and they have said it's ok to reduce them, am I ok to just go ahead and do that? We already pollarded one on the say so of the FC as it was falling apart, close to the road and neighbouring property (it's the only property in close proximity and owner wanted it gone). Another option is to check with the council to see if there are TPOs covering them, but then there could be a problem in view of the fact one has been pollarded already, and if there aren't TPOs then it's a pain in the butt if they put one on!

To cut to the chase, would you go ahead on the say so of the FC inspector and licencing bloke in view of the fact they had previously granted a felling licence that ran out last year?