highclimb

I run two models of saw, ms200t x 3, and a ms441.

The 441 is great, torquey, low vibration, but a little heavier than its predecessors. The air filter never needs cleaning, and it will run 25" without any problem.

The next saw I buy will be a 660, when they finally come with locking caps. That will wear a 30" most of the time, and the 441 will go back to 20"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally always been a stihl man myself.had quite a few 026's over the years,good all rounder as andy c says.i keep an open mind saying that though,bought a few huskies over the years(mainly cos the deal was good at the time) had a 254xp and a 262xp in the 90's,good when running but just not reliable enough for me when worked hard (the 262 lasted a couple of weeks if i remember,and i was not alone!) i've had two 353's now and they are much better IMO for reliability.a few months ago i purchased a new ms361 and its taken a while to get used to,most of the summer it stayed in the van behind the 026 in daily use,i found the switch awkward too,but now its autumn and i've started my annual coppicing it's come into its own on ash stools small and large,i run it generally on 16" but it will take bigger.i am looking to purchase a 460 probably warm handled,but will consider a husky again when i visit the dealer.as for the biggies i've an 88 thats now 5 yrs old and will probably last for 20 because its that well built IMO and has infrequent use.hope my opinions help,steve

just been and had a look at the new ms171 and 181 at the local dealers this morning, i would imgine they are great if you want to build your muscles up! seem like very heavy saws for the size, but im assured that they are a lot more torquey than their predecessors, will see how they go when the let me have one to try, dont think it will be replacing the 340husky though!

The 441 is great, torquey, low vibration, but a little heavier than its predecessors. The air filter never needs cleaning, and it will run 25" without any problem.

The next saw I buy will be a 660, when they finally come with locking caps. That will wear a 30" most of the time, and the 441 will go back to 20"

Once you get your 660, I think you will have the perfect combination!!

locking caps are evilllll! works just got me a new 660 with 30"bar, and its bloody fantastic! best big saw ive used-better than the huskys we got of the same size, and more useable than an 880, go get one now!

locking caps are evilllll! works just got me a new 660 with 30"bar, and its bloody fantastic! best big saw ive used-better than the huskys we got of the same size, and more useable than an 880, go get one now!

Stick a 36" bar on it still cuts really well :thumbup1:

Stihl range here, 200t's 046's 066's all excellent saws and very reliable. Keep thinking about getting a MS460 but the 046 is still as good as the day it was bought.

In my experience Stihl seems to be a lot more reliable than husky I think they can take more of a beating and just keep on running.

Husky is a bit easier to work on in the field mainly because you dont need a bleedin torx screwy to remove anything. Thats one of my biggest gripes about stihl.

Tried a brand new 338 that was just pants, it had been back to the dealers because it was so under powered but when it came back it was just the same. Once bitten etc.

thanks charlieh!

I own a 345e and a mate of mine has the 340e, both are lovely to use, sadly mine came with a auto tensioner, seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I hate it, am going to buy a new side cover.

Has anyone here used the 357xp? I have only ever heard good things.

I have been using the 357 xp quite alot recently. Its the main groundsaw were im working and when its running and your cutting wood its a really likeable saw, plenty of power and torque, its not bulky atall the anti-vibration is good and it feels nice to use.

Im not sure if i could buy one though and the reason being is that out of the three they all have problems and two are only a month or so old. Whether you need to cold start it again and again to get it going even when you have been using it and only put it down for 2 seconds, or it cuts out completely when just dabbing the throttle or after constant use the tickover becomes irregular there just always seems to be something playing up. Its a shame because i would like to get one but im just not sure if i could trust it enough.

Id be interested to hear what everyone else's experiences are with this saw. Has anyone found one to be completely faultless?

Id echo husqys needing a bit more maintenance, also I find stihls almost always fire first pull with choke and run on the second or third pull, were as husky usually take a few more, often three or four pulls to initially fire.

All this talk of the 660 has got me tempted lol then again Ive managed without one for the last 5 years.

Id be interested to hear what everyone else's experiences are with this saw. Has anyone found one to be completely faultless?

mine has been and its 3 years old,people seem to have trouble starting it though but ive got it figured its pretty damn easy really and i feel like losing my temper with my groundy when he cant get it going! I can say i look after my saws i evan keep them in the house! is that wrong!