Do these power lines need turning off?

Al Cormack

Mods - this issue comes up so frequently now, would it be worthwhile having a sticky post with the facts somewhere?

I Don't think anyone would read them if we did, and if they did read it they'd only read what they choose to and twist the facts to suit themselves. As you say, this has come up countless times, yet misinformation still comes out in each and every thread.

On this case, as others, I would call REC and let them shutdown, trim back, make safe or carry out works under their supervision, it's their call not mine. They have to supply this service as part of their remit under H&S procedures, and it's free, why take unnecessary risks?

Where it may be ok to winch/pull a tree back away from the lines, I have seen this go horrendously wrong, even when all the normal safety parameters were covered, it doesn't matter what the rule book says sometimes, Murphys law can and will come into play.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nptc ua2.ii

Im guessing the guy who asked the question does'nt have any UA tickets or he would'nt have been asking.In which case he's not authorised to do the work. Im sure the guy is a competent tree feller/climber but i would'nt advise anyone to carry out such tasks especially someone i did'nt know as they might have very little experience of any tree work.

Im guessing the guy who asked the question does'nt have any UA tickets or he would'nt have been asking.In which case he's not authorised to do the work. Im sure the guy is a competent tree feller/climber but i would'nt advise anyone to carry out such tasks especially someone i did'nt know as they might have very little experience of any tree work.

You are correct. I don't have any UA tickets, and whilst I have worked over the twisted insulated lines going to houses quite happily, I did not like the look of this one, hence my asking the question.

I have 28 years experience of tree surgery, so fairly competent now, but this is the first time I have looked at a tree in this situation. I know my limitations, and when to ask for advice, and I also like to go home to my wife and kids at the end of the day:thumbup:

Cheers...Al

You are correct. I don't have any UA tickets, and whilst I have worked over the twisted insulated lines going to houses quite happily, I did not like the look of this one, hence my asking the question.

I have 28 years experience of tree surgery, so fairly competent now, but this is the first time I have looked at a tree in this situation. I know my limitations, and when to ask for advice, and I also like to go home to my wife and kids at the end of the day:thumbup:

Cheers...Al

Ive no doubt you are very competent Al, the fact that you asked the question shows that you know your what you're doing without knowing all the ins and outs of power lines. Just would'nt want a flippant remark causing you or anyone else grief with electricity.There are legal aspects that could cause you grief as well as the obvious risk from shock. :thumbup1:

Cheers...Al

Just be careful of ALL powerlines - those twisted insulated ones aren't always insulated, and some electrical companies insist on treating them the same as live open conductors. The attached pic is poor, but it shows where damage in the insulation has lead to a phase to phase fault that was buried in ivy. You couldn't see the problem from the ground at all, even when the offending tree had been removed.

That twisted cable would make you just as dead as the 11kv conductors in your situation. Never be complacent with electrical apparatus - if in doubt then speak to the relevant electricity company.

IMAG0931.jpg.a691d756e57b5165829b9c1f1797c9e0.jpg

Just be careful of ALL powerlines - those twisted insulated ones aren't always insulated, and some electrical companies insist on treating them the same as live open conductors. The attached pic is poor, but it shows where damage in the insulation has lead to a phase to phase fault that was buried in ivy. You couldn't see the problem from the ground at all, even when the offending tree had been removed.

That twisted cable would make you just as dead as the 11kv conductors in your situation. Never be complacent with electrical apparatus - if in doubt then speak to the relevant electricity company.

After reading the threads i'm really glad someone has pointed out the lethal danger of LV lines, especially the ABC conductors which should never be considered insulated, they wear through very easily!

Many utility arborsists have taken a jolt over the years, usually through the tree losing amps so therfore get to tell the tale, many never get to tell the tale. When new lads ask the dangers of different voltages i tell them that HV will blow you up, you might get away with losing some limbs, severe burns and internal organ failure and manage a few days of intense pain before dying...., LV you're just DEAD.

If the owner asks the power company should clear the lines free of charge.

they will clear the lines free of charge but wudnt do that tree until it grows into the lines/transformer area,as its only in the proximity zone,but would gladly come isolate them for the tree work to be done safely without gory death splattered on the termination pole :D