Show us ya birds !

David Humphries

20 minutes ago, nepia said:

Pyewipe

My dad always said Peeweep. When Stubby wrote Peewip I thought that'd be the 'proper English' and dad had probably known a Scots version of the word.

We passed near the nest last night hoping to see the owner in residence but no luck yet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

My dad always said Peeweep. When Stubby wrote Peewip I thought that'd be the 'proper English' and dad had probably known a Scots version of the word.

We passed near the nest last night hoping to see the owner in residence but no luck yet.

Its Peewit here in West Sussex .  Although Lapwing is used . Not so much Green Plover .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

My dad who was born in Germany always called them the German word Kiebitz which is kind of similar sounding to Peewit. Dutch is Kievit, so easy to see where our languages and words crossed over many years ago 

My oh is German and it's remarkable how well she understands when I use words that I'd consider to be local Scots dialect learned from Dad and his brothers. How my uncles would count sheep seemed like a foreign language when I was young but she finds it very familiar.

7 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

My oh is German and it's remarkable how well she understands when I use words that I'd consider to be local Scots dialect learned from Dad and his brothers. How my uncles would count sheep seemed like a foreign language when I was young but she finds it very familiar.

So similar! My godfather was from the Gorbals and the similarity of some of his speaking with plat Deutsch (old north German dialect) that my mother could speak was uncanny. I’ve read that much of the connection was via the Hanseatic League which linked so many north European cities and the common language of the sailors who later settled in different towns

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

So similar! My godfather was from the Gorbals and the similarity of some of his speaking with plat Deutsch (old north German dialect) that my mother could speak was uncanny. I’ve read that much of the connection was via the Hanseatic League which linked so many north European cities and the common language of the sailors who later settled in different towns

I watched a documentary a long time ago by Eddie Izzard about languages. Part of it was he travelled to various places in Europe to ask farmers a question in Old Flemish I think. This is terribly inaccurate but something like "unt uh brunta coo, unt uh muchy milka". From Dumfries to Belgium, Holland, and so many other places, all understood enough to know he wanted to buy a lot of milk from a brown cow!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 22/04/2023 at 09:33, Doug Tait said:

There are some birds hidden inside but not sure what they might be?

Found in a field on the moor...

DSC_0279.thumb.JPG.9960c516581c44bdc8542c4e224b8b7f.JPG

DSC_0280.thumb.JPG.80c0e66d99d572dbcbd557dc7b0798a1.JPG

On 23/04/2023 at 11:54, Doug Tait said:

Went close enough to see tonight again. There were half a dozen Lapwings (peewit, peeweet, pyewip, plover or whatever local dialect you prefer) around where the nest is and they were defending the area noisily from a couple of crows, with great success.

• Like 5