Previously topped tree!

pault

If clients aren't educated about what's right, how else will arb move forward and push the undesirables out because everyone is on to them!

I advise my customers, I don't act to patronise but I'd rather do a little bit at a time, I advise to compromise what they want with what's best, usually works to a degree, but you can't have it all ways.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should try and educate people, explain the repercussions of what they want and if they won't listen crack on and take the money (with the truck hidden).:001_tongue:

I have talked plenty of customers out of having mature trees topped, and they have often come back to me later for other work because they realised that I knew what I was doing to some degree, a point I think David Goss was putting forward pretty well.

Matty, those Sequoias will come back lovely mate, where did you learn felling techniques at 2m?:001_tt2:

ok its late and iv had a drop so i hope you can read this, i dont care what you do and i dont mean that in a bad way , this is just how i see it, look at it this way- no one normally asks who pruned a tree if its done as it should be, ie BS3998 -2010 , a good job done well and its only good arbs who will notice that a tree has even had work done to it , joe public would not be able to tell, but if you re-prune a poor job joe public will notice that, so will your local LPA tree officer, then starts the pyramid, a friend of your client asks who did that? your name is put forward and is then passed down the pyramid until hundreds know what a s**t job you have done, forget what some arbtalk members are saying as some dont have any standards, we ,or those of you who call your self arbs ,should try to educate people. Ay Mark:thumbup:

ok its late and iv had a drop so i hope you can read this, i dont care what you do and i dont mean that in a bad way , this is just how i see it, look at it this way- no one normally asks who pruned a tree if its done as it should be, ie BS3998 -2010 , a good job done well and its only good arbs who will notice that a tree has even had work done to it , joe public would not be able to tell, but if you re-prune a poor job joe public will notice that, so will your local LPA tree officer, then starts the pyramid, a friend of your client asks who did that? your name is put forward and is then passed down the pyramid until hundreds know what a s**t job you have done, forget what some arbtalk members are saying as some dont have any standards, we ,or those of you who call your self arbs ,should try to educate people. Ay Mark:thumbup:

Some of us do have standards, in fact I'd say virtually all of us. Just some can't afford to turn down a job just because it's not best arb practice. Again, I've had this argument before. If you can talk the customer out of it all well and good but if you can't I'd do what they asked if I needed to put food on the table. And yes, we are trying to educate the public into having trees trimmed properly but the high percentage of the public I deal with don't wish to be educated.

This is a job I did before Christmas.

http://e0396c10.jpg

Client had his mind made up and had the planning go ahead before I quoted , I was not happy and felt uncomftable doing it ... I think it caused out cry but hey he plans to manage them and some were shot around the base...

Last week I have been turning 70 year old yew trees in too hedges and it looks awfull....I convinced her to leave two and reduce them lightly instead of 2 meters!! so I do feel better I'm just glad no one can see my truck when I'm working there!! Atleast I'm back doing 25% / 15 % on yews tm in another site.

Thats alot of firewood you cut!Good luck to the person picking it all up :001_tongue:

http://a27ae51e.jpg

The reason why he wanted his limes topped pollarded to 3 meters.... Again it was not my recommendation or spec I will add!! But if they are kept on a pollard cycle I don't see there being any real issue... I was pretty glad to not be picking up the wood atree! We just had to get them down and cut up.

Going against what you know is right just gets you in a hole that you will find difficult to get back out of again. The fact that so many people are willing to just do it because its what the (uninformed) client wants is what is making it difficult for those that are trying to be professional about it. I know most people are scared to turn down a job but from what i can see from the bigger picture it is actually better in the long run. Try it and see...

Well said!

I would walk away too. I'm not going to turn into one of the tree butchers that I detest.

Well said!

I would walk away too. I'm not going to turn into one of the tree butchers that I detest.

I wouldn't say that, but agree. In my market, re-topping is seldom primary in the conversation. Customers are fairly educated.

Cutting to nodes a ways out where the branch tapers, and leaving some "sap risers" could properly be called restoration/partial pollarding. Size of wound is paramount imo for tree health and safety.

These threads are useless without pictures from the op.

The use of written specs based on citable standards is the best-accepted form of education. Who likes lectures?

Restoration Pruning Arborist News_2010_06.pdf

Edited by treeseer

Well said!

totally agree there. if we all want to be 'professional' in the way we conduct our work, then simply butchering a tree because the clients wants us to goes against all principles. I understand that sometimes you have to make good of a bad situation(usually someones previous work) and thats fine but I don't consider mutilating a 'virgin' tree to lower than standard arb practise a professional approach. If they want a professional job then they can call me, If they just want some bloke with a chainsaw and jeans they can call someone else IMO

Some of us do have standards, in fact I'd say virtually all of us. Just some can't afford to turn down a job just because it's not best arb practice. Again, I've had this argument before. If you can talk the customer out of it all well and good but if you can't I'd do what they asked if I needed to put food on the table. And yes, we are trying to educate the public into having trees trimmed properly but the high percentage of the public I deal with don't wish to be educated.
Im not having a dig, thats fine, its just my take on it and the way iv chosen to work over the years- yes i have lost a lot of work and potential money over the years but i do now have an excellent reputation for giving honest sound advice, only advising tree work when its necessary- taking the time to explain to clients in detail in simple terms how a tree will respond to the work, and the effects that pruning/wounding will have on the tree- I try to fully understand what the client is actually trying to achieve, youd be surprised at just how many people actually think that trees keep on growing and need to be pruned or topped to stop them from growing- few people actually consider what a trees ultimate tree height is or what its potential is, taking into account specific site conditions-soil type-PH levels- aspect- and what the requirments are of a tree to develop and grow. My client base is now extensive, i do very little advertising , i always get repeat work and word of mouth is the best way to pick up work. no digs at anyone but this is my life and its how i like to live :thumbup: i like to treat people in the same way as i would hope poeple would treat my mum and dad does that make sence?