Previously topped tree!

pault

Im all for giving other options to customers but it seems that some are more than happy to step over that line and to really start pushing their opinions onto customers:001_huh:

Cant people just say 'not for me' and walk away rather than trying to talk the customer into not having the work done the way they want?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record; Now working for local council (who previously approved the topping of its own trees for views, light etc) I now adhere to a strict no topping policy. I still get the mayor and CEO sending down the order to top this tree or that tree because the rate payer has been in their ear/s about losing their view, sunlight or whatever. Occasionally we have to give in and do as they ask but 95% of the time now the tree isn't topped. Removed or remedial pruning carried out but rarely topped. We are in the process of getting new hand outs printed stating that we won't top trees (as opposed to the old one that said we would but would seek 50% of the cost from the complainant). Now working for council full time means I no longer have to accept those private jobs that involve butchering trees just because that's what the owner wants. Yes, I've tried to explain about the negative effects of topping only to lose out on the work and still see the tree topped by someone else a few weeks later (when I was self employed full time) and again, unfortunately, that is just the current school of thought in this area. Look at this way; if the council has been endorsing this type of pruning up until now how are you supposed to encourage the common or garden holiday home owner to not do this when all they are concerned about is their view of the lake and/or mountains?

Just for the record; Now working for local council (who previously approved the topping of its own trees for views, light etc) I now adhere to a strict no topping policy. I still get the mayor and CEO sending down the order to top this tree or that tree because the rate payer has been in their ear/s about losing their view, sunlight or whatever. Occasionally we have to give in and do as they ask but 95% of the time now the tree isn't topped. Removed or remedial pruning carried out but rarely topped. We are in the process of getting new hand outs printed stating that we won't top trees (as opposed to the old one that said we would but would seek 50% of the cost from the complainant). Now working for council full time means I no longer have to accept those private jobs that involve butchering trees just because that's what the owner wants. Yes, I've tried to explain about the negative effects of topping only to lose out on the work and still see the tree topped by someone else a few weeks later (when I was self employed full time) and again, unfortunately, that is just the current school of thought in this area. Look at this way; if the council has been endorsing this type of pruning up until now how are you supposed to encourage the common or garden holiday home owner to not do this when all they are concerned about is their view of the lake and/or mountains?

sounds like youv done good mate, good on ya :thumbup1: are you a POME?

You have the same problem down in Ch'ch then Adam?

Reductions by 1/3 is generally what i have to do,and people are happy with that,then few months later its full of epi's and new growth and looks crap.

still get jim butchering away too.

Have done a few nice acer's to and came back to re do them the next year and most of them have been sun burnt on the tops do to little or no foliage.FWIW i work for a professional company and what the client want the client gets most of the time.

"still get jim butchering away too".

That's the problem, always someone willing to do it if you aren't and eventually you end up doing close to nothing because Jim and his cohorts do as the customer asks without querying. Plus, unlike the UK, we have less rules and regs regarding "trimming" of trees in NZ.

"still get jim butchering away too".

That's the problem, always someone willing to do it if you aren't and eventually you end up doing close to nothing because Jim and his cohorts do as the customer asks without querying. Plus, unlike the UK, we have less rules and regs regarding "trimming" of trees in NZ.

I dont think it will change tbh,which is as shame because there are nice nice trees about that aren't protected.In chch any way.