landrover tipper/price

timtree81

Go for the td5 if you have a chance, the best engine IME.

A coupls of weeks back I looked back in the file of my 110, and in over six years its had a UJ on the front drive shaft, a front steering swivel and a fuel valve on side of the engine.

Sorry Lee:blushing:

I'll definately be buying another!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you prefer the 300 there's one here looks tidy, can fit tipper from around £1500-2000 so will cost around the same as the td5. I have a td5 '99 model and had very little trouble with it, best truck i ever had

1998 LAND ROVER DEFENDER 110 300 Tdi Hi Cap | eBay

HOW MUCH????????????

I did mine for about 1/3 of that, ali box etc etc.

Is it a 3050 or 3500kg chassis?

The former is worth much less if you want to stay legal. As has been said a new tipper conversion is £2k ish so look at hi cap 110's and possibly have it converted yourself. The early TD5's suffer from oil in the wiring loom which can destroy the ECU. If you go look take the drivers seat up and take the red wiring plug off the ECU, any oil and it could be expensive.

You would be buying this one at it's absolute best (new body, new tyres, etc) so it is going to lose money but be hassle free. You could try and find a more used one that won't drop as much but might need a bit spending on it. Swings and roundabouts

Outside of this forum i CANNOT find any evidence that there is such a thing as a 3500kg chassis, even from my garage. The difference is in the brakes and suspension I am assured.:confused1:

OK then if we are being pedantic, buy one that has a chassis plate stating 3500kg GVW. It might only be the springs and brakes (+ axle, other bits) that are different but changing them does not make it legally allowed to run at 3500kg without a trip to VOSA for reclassifying.

Tommer, you might have done your own tipper conversiob for £500 but does that come with engineers report? When I had mine a couple of insurers were insisting on an engineers report to prove fit for purpose. You also obviously don't count your time in that £500. £1500-£2k is a drive in drive out tipper conversion by a professional company that would fully satisfy the police and insurance companies in case of an accident.

In the 9 years since i had it done no insurer has mentioned any reports. VOSA have stopped me and went over the vehicle, no problems, even though i stopped replacing the mudguards long before that, and I am sorry you feel i was being pedantic Kev, that was not my intention.:)

In the 9 years since i had it done no insurer has mentioned any reports. VOSA have stopped me and went over the vehicle, no problems, even though i stopped replacing the mudguards long before that, and I am sorry you feel i was being pedantic Kev, that was not my intention.:)

HI tommer well done on your tipper mate our was so called made by a firm but it will last no where nr 9 years so tommer well done on yours:thumbup1:but ours has loose mudguards all the best jon :thumbup:

Go for the td5 if you have a chance, the best engine IME.

A coupls of weeks back I looked back in the file of my 110, and in over six years its had a UJ on the front drive shaft, a front steering swivel and a fuel valve on side of the engine.

Sorry Lee:blushing:

I'll definately be buying another!

I guess the proof is in the pudding, your landy has served you well, I didn't like my one, and i've read some real horror story's about the TD5, but then I have about clutches on Rangers , engines in Navarras etc etc

My ultimate truck would be a Landcruiser truck, no doubt they have there problems

To further the MLW issue on Landrovers. Standard 110s as mentioned are 3050kg....however a lot are rated 3500kg. Almost all of the ex-utility company land rovers are 3500kg. If your looking then the standard Landrover badge under the bonnet states the axle weights but most ex-utility land rovers have a "special vehicles" plaque also under the bonnet which is an instant giveaway. The difference is with the rear suspension - extra plates are welded to strengthen the rear chassis and double coil springs are used (sometimes called helper spring). IMHO this set up is brilliant. The rear is so much firmer especially with heavy loads. The double coils are much better than a single HD spring (again IMO).

We had this built by Boulters in Aldermaston about two years ago. You could get it built for about £2000 + vat but with a few extras I think ours was £2400.00 . It had to be proffesionally done with a serial no and cert for the nfu insurance. It Has been absolutely brilliant 100% reliable. the only down side is payload will only ever be about 400kg on these hilux. If you loose some weight, leave the spare at home and dont fill it with fuel you should get about 1.5 cu of dry logs in.

59765f743262b_logs010(600x400).jpg.ccee2af009952c83116dccd64a0144e1.jpg