HS2 Buckinghamshire

nick channer

What amazes me is that it will take 14 years to build just to get to birmingham. If we are going to build it surely it makes more sense to do it quickly. How long would the chinese or the yanks take to build it? Probably about 18 months:)

Cameron is turning this country into an international laughing stock.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on chaps! We all know that we have to build ourselves out of recession, standing in the way of progress is not allowed. Think of the tax dollars that will go into the coffers to pay for the millennium build, the Olympics, the wars that we are involved with and devolution (first Scotland, then Wales and possibly the Corning after that).

we've had it for a couple of years

didn't cause that much disruption building it

I'm sure the reason wasn't to bring cheap labour into london as we're not exactly a megapolis

When it's done- you'll be glad- progress and all that

I agree, when its all finished, you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Ancient woods, precious countryside,green issues blah blah blah

Gentlemen..... start your diggers!

The trains in the uk are in a mess due to the way they were all privatised by Maggie Thatcher a few years ago. The should never have been split up into operating companies and infrastructure. This has led to situations such as do we spend money on improving safety or give it to the shareholders! There is no discernible national train strategy and the train companies all receive massive subsidies from the tax payer and give it to their shareholders. What should have happened was it should have been kept as one company and turned into an agency/quango or something similar. That way the government would still have had control and it would have been easier to steer it in the direction of a national transport strategy. Any profits made would be used to keep the price of fares down thereby encouraging people to use the trains instead of clogging up the road system.

Not sure if we need HS2 but as I am in Scotland I very much doubt it is ever going to effect me.

If there is a way that politicians can make an arse of things, rest assured they will persevere and find it.

Mike

The trains in the uk are in a mess due to the way they were all privatised by Maggie Thatcher a few years ago. The should never have been split up into operating companies and infrastructure. This has led to situations such as do we spend money on improving safety or give it to the shareholders! There is no discernible national train strategy and the train companies all receive massive subsidies from the tax payer and give it to their shareholders. What should have happened was it should have been kept as one company and turned into an agency/quango or something similar. That way the government would still have had control and it would have been easier to steer it in the direction of a national transport strategy. Any profits made would be used to keep the price of fares down thereby encouraging people to use the trains instead of clogging up the road system.

Not sure if we need HS2 but as I am in Scotland I very much doubt it is ever going to effect me.

If there is a way that politicians can make an arse of things, rest assured they will persevere and find it.

Mike

I think problems with the railway go back way before maggie. There was chronic underinvestment from ww1 onwards as road traffic became viable. Throw in 2 world wars and then nationalisation and you have the perfect recipe for industrial disaster. Separation of track from train operation was not a smart move but nationalisation was not and is not the answer. The private sector take profits but the public sector cant manage labour and runs inefficiently so the end result is the same. when in the public sector there were always more pressing needs to pay for I.e. nhs, defence, education etc.

Imo hs2 is a political white elephant designed to garner votes in marginal seats in the midlands and northwest. You could argue that there is greater economic benefit in spending £30 bn on a nationwide tree planting scheme to reforest the uk. It would create thousands of jobs immediately and leave us with a valuable resource and ongoing employment for the next 250 years. It would also capture a lot of carbon.

Who the hell wants to go birmingham anyway:)

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

I can't beleive people are complaining about a public works project worth Billions of Pounds.This has come at the best time possible.

Companies who win the contracts will have to expand at all levels and this will create jobs,injecting money into a stagnant economy.

Projects like this are exactly what the UK needs.:thumbup:

And as for getting work from it ie tree clearing, imagine if the locals (ur loyal customers) knew you had anything to do with the HS2, they may not be soon keen to use you in the future, I would turn the work down myself, at least i could sleep at night.

I dead on whatever you say, people will be falling over themselves to get the work.

And to turn work like that down when you never know whats round the corner would be silly imo.

It will be like everything that's opposed give it a few years and it will be forgot about.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk