If you weren't in the log business, would you burn logs or use coal?

BobG

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that has a lot to do with whether one has access to mains gas and what current fireplaces/boiler options there might be.

Certainly my old London house with a new gas boiler was easy...no ash to clean, no chimney sweeping etc.

Here in Wales I have a central multiburner with back boiler, oil for the rayburn and small fireplaces in several other rooms.

Since I have large stores of free wood then I'm burning that but it's a daily chore splitting and carting and cleaning and chucking logs into the burner. On the other hand if I want to work upstairs when it's cold and light a coal fire then that one load of smokeless lasts almost 12 hrs and bought commercially probably costs less than wood would.

When we lived in a town we used mains gas, and I think we would always go for that if available.

When we moved to a village that did not have mains gas, moving into an all electric bungalow (what idiot thought that storage radiators were a good idea?) we had to make a decision. We rejected oil (on grounds of possible cost rises, (we were right!) and on grounds of smell, and we couldn't find anywhere non intrusive to put the tank. We rejected calor gas for similar reasons.

So we went for a multifuel stove with back boiler, feeding radiators in all the rooms, and making a feature of it in the living room. We do not regret the decision. We mainly burn smokeless fuel, ie coal derivatives, but also burn any wood we get hold of (pallets, woody garden waste, etc).

To make a comparison of cost and convenience we recently went for twelve months burning logs only, ordering several trailer loads well in advance from a local supplier. We found that it did not save any money, and was less convenient due to the large space taken up for storage, and we also had trouble keeping the fire in overnight whereas with coal there is never a problem. Also, with coal, we always feel we can get hold of it whereas we felt the need to have plenty of wood on hand in case the local supply ran out by Christmas.

So the simple answer is, we would burn wood if we had our own cheap supply, but otherwise coal wins in the absence of mains gas.

One of the guys who buy timber of me by the arctic load to cut, split and sell on, started out just producing his own logs.

He now buys in coal for his own use, he says its more cost effective than burning logs that he can sell for more than the cost of the coal.

We turned down the offer of mains gas and if I gave up working in the tree game I'd buy soft wood cord by the arctic load and burn that.

Before i started i just bought logs off a local tree surgeon cheap. I loved cutting, splitting and seasoning myself and it was at a 1/4 of the price of buying it in. I did buy a few loads localy that were rubbish (they were cheap local paper adds so from what i know now i wouldnt of bothered) for when i ran out. I had a cube or two left over one year and sold them and thats what started me doing it on a larger scale!

If I wanted a stove to last all night then smokeless fuel or anthracite. General daytime/evening use wood looks nicer burning. Cost wise per kw then there is not a lot in it if buying logs at retail rates.

Be aware that ordinary house coal is NOT a recommended fuel for stoves, it burns very dirtily and if burning on low oxygen ( shut right down) and you open the door allowing a huge amount of oxygen into the stove a backdraft explosion can occur, ie the fire comes out to meet you !!. If you are not burning wood then either Anthracite ( natural smokeless coal) or manufactured smokeless fuel is recommended.

A

A

I'm not really in the log business-as much as most of you firewood types.

I get free wood- well cost to transport and chop up.

I love a log fire- wins hands down on coal which to me is a boring fuel- not so much action.

If I gave up tree work I would visit all the tree guys locally and let them know a good place to drop off their arb waste- probably worth giving them a good drink too. So long as I didn't just get crap (wet knobbly hard to split stuff) all the time then I think this would be a good arrangement.

I burn normal house coal in a burner. Yes it produces a bit more ash and yes it leaves a bit of mess on the glass but its easy and cost effective for me. I buy straight from a pit at present at £100 a tonne + my diesel there and back so all in costs about £120 a tonne. I use logs for when I'm in more and the coal goes in when I'm out or for overnight. I know that the price of quality coal is close on £300 a tonne and smokeless coals more so.