i,am confused about chainsaws

predator

I read most of the post,s etc but they seem to confuse me at times .When does a chainsaw become a old chainsaw and how long do they actually last or how long do you hold onto a chainsaw etc years or months as all mine are secondhand and cant afford new one,s no way could i just go all out for a new saw to cut logs up for my burner in the winter etc as i can only just afford to run my jeep n trailer to collect wood for next years fuel and i think it will get a lot harder to be honest this country is on the bones of its arth and theres no end to it

we will have to pay a tax next for having a woodburner me thinks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how long it takes to wear one out .I have two I've had about 35 years and some that are 50 years old that still work just fine .

GOSH THAT,S A GOOD AGE

You must of looked after them ??? & are they used regular etc ???? or is it a collection you have" .As i feel when i,ve upgrade etc i dont want to sell my old saws on dunno why i feel like that!! you get attached to your tools i allways look for same screwdriver in my toolbox even though i got others in same drawer i would be gutted if it wasnt there

If its still running well and you like the saw then I can't see a reason to swap it out for a new one. "Usually" newer saws are lighter, more powerfull, more ergonomic etc, but not generally more reliable.:laugh1:

One thing I would say though is give it a bit of an overhaul with new chain brake parts etc and deffo av rubbers/springs.:thumbup1:

I read most of the post,s etc but they seem to confuse me at times .When does a chainsaw become a old chainsaw and how long do they actually last or how long do you hold onto a chainsaw etc years or months as all mine are secondhand and cant afford new one,s no way could i just go all out for a new saw to cut logs up for my burner in the winter etc as i can only just afford to run my jeep n trailer to collect wood for next years fuel and i think it will get a lot harder to be honest this country is on the bones of its arth and theres no end to it

we will have to pay a tax next for having a woodburner me thinks

There is nothing to be confuse about when it comes to chain saws. The key is proper/regular maintenance. Weather it be new or used the saw will most all the time do what it is supposed to do in the first place as long as it is properly maintained and not abused. If you can only afford a secondhand saw just keep up with the maintenance and save what ever you can for a replacement in the future. Keep the faith,stay warm!

easy-lift guy

it's not really an age thing, more comparable to hours or milage.

if you use a saw once a year to cut logs and look after it, it will probably last years and years! If you're using it commercially, it probably won't still be going in 20 years unless you spend a lot of money on it.

Chainsaws can have a real long life, just depends on who uses and maintains them.

Usual parts that suffer are plastic casings, chain brake parts, carb parts and Piston and cylinder. Most Pro saws have heavy duty ball race crankshaft bearings and usually have a very long life. Seals can go but can be replaced as can many other parts.

Many will write off a saw when fitting a few new parts will resurrect it, seen many 20 - 25 year old saws come through the workshop - and go out with years of life ahead of them. The modern saws will weigh less and cut faster with better AV but the old ones will still be around for years to come usually retired to home owners with log burners or to landscapers on a lower budget rather than pro arb operators .

I have three saws that come out with me every day,

A 2003 ms180 Fantastic little saw, only supposed to be light hobby-duty but lasts and lasts. Few niggles with the oiler but easily and cheaply sorted. Always starts 1st pull.

A 2006 ms210. Ok, but does not punch above it's weight as much as the 180. Had a few issues with the tank breather and air filter but again cheap or free to fix. Always starts first pull

A 2011 Husky 346xpg. Great saw, but has had more niggles than the other two in their 13 years of service combined. Takes a few pulls to start sometimes, oil cap is crap and choke/stop/start lever will probably break, looks far too flimsy.

In short, age does not mean that much, anything from 2000 on is reasonably up to date and should be hse ok. Just decide what you want/need and take some time to find a good one. Even then it's still a matter of luck as much as maintenance.