Rope Wrench feedback

also does it mean theres no point using a chest ascender anymore to srt up a tree. could you include a neck loop to it, to prevent it from dropping to your knees when ascending?

I believe it was Kevins idea/option also to route your lanyard around your back/over your shoulder and then hook it up to tend the wrench and hitch at the same time. Probably not as good as a chest harness but it wrks just fine all the same.

Putting a loop around ones neck for climbing trees just seems so wrong to me.... I know lots of people do it but its just not even an option from where I'm standing.

If you do make a purchase, best to put DdRT out of your mind altogether while you get used to it and just focus the different options that SRT has to offer. If you can uphold that mindset the transition ought to be very easy for a seasoned climber llike yourself. Good luck

I would definately wrap the climb line around the pole i.e. DdRT, but leave the wrench in place in case you need to rappel/bail out at anytime (choke the line and ascend srt, no need for rope guide anymore

i was more referring to when your hanging on the pole making your cuts then before you make your final cut you retrieve your rope and rope guide and reposition it below your pole belt. i saw the guy using it on that small rowan removal :lol: just wondering how you retrieve it. you'd have to have something up there for it to go through without choking it off otherwise its unretrievable.

oh no i've reached seasoned climber :)

and when i see it in writing yes it does sound a bit dodgy climbing up a tree with something round your neck

i was more referring to when your hanging on the pole making your cuts then before you make your final cut you retrieve your rope and rope guide and reposition it below your pole belt. i saw the guy using it on that small rowan removal :lol: just wondering how you retrieve it. you'd have to have something up there for it to go through without choking it off otherwise its unretrievable. you choke the pole using a r-bowline, but do it leaving a really long tail, long enough so you can reach it from your intended cutting position down below. When your ready to retreive simply pull on the tail and the r-bowline will collapse and fall down the pole to where you are.

oh no i've reached seasoned climber :) Comes to us all, and there was a complement in there somewhere

and when i see it in writing yes it does sound a bit dodgy climbing up a tree with something round your neck

its a ------up idea alright, dont care who originally thought that one up.

thanks RCO.

i'll make sure its my first purchase when i get back to melbourne. to my astonishment it retails at the same price as in the uk, i've never seen that before. ooh a new technique to master its been awhile.

don't worry i took seasoned as a compliment, just also funny seeing it written down. i'm aiming for veteran as next step.

i believe were in the dawn of a revolutionary new style, a toast :cheers:

also it would open a whole new way of climbing around trees. i know the M rigg sort of addresses this but you'd literally be able to traverse from canopy to canopy tree to tree if you had the other end tied off as well. maybe i'm getting ahead of myself and it would just be awkward. groundies could big shot lines into other heads, need a long rope though.

again it came in really useful today. had to climb through an oak to use different rigging points and was just able to go straight across rather than down and up to avoid ropes rubbing. the more it gets used the more its becoming obvious. A tip from johno smith is a bike inner tube around the chest (fig around shoulders) and just clip the wrench/uni into that. real nice cheap simple idea.

First use of my rope wrench today. Tried it with a valdotain and lockjack. The hitch seemed to still get a lot of friction and bound up a bit. The lockjack was super smooth for descents and limb walking.

The hard part is getting used to ascending/returning from branches and tending the rw.

Has anyone experimented much with tether lengths? Mine came with one honeys put on it. It seems if you kept the setup as compact as possible it would be easier to keep everything in line and set, but can you tie it up too short?

I am convinced the LJ and RW will be my next purchase. I love my SJ but I think the LJ makes a smother more compact set up with out the need for a Hitch climber to self tend.

With regards to choging down I just choke off with an alpine butterfly with my unicender which then means I have a bail out line if needed.