Female's on the tools?

Mike Hill

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Women listen better than men do too......none of that eye rolling as if they know enerything when you're explaining stuff or offering advice.

Oh yeah, well you should meet my wife.

Or perhaps she only does it too me?

Come to think of it, I seem to get that reaction from alot of people!!!???

I don't know, we are inherently different men and women. More so than blacks and whites. Maybe it isn't PC to talk about differences but they do exist.

I agree that differences definitely exist, but let's talk about it in a constructive way. Like many of you guys posting on this thread have done. Thanks for your support by the way. The race metaphor was used to highlight the fact that the initial poster described his (I'm assuming it's a man here) experiences in the same way people did when coloured people were first allowed to enter previously white-only occupations (and still do in some areas as we all know). It reminded me of an old news paper clipping from the States, some column you could write into for advice, someone had written in saying she'd got herself a new Negro but had some trouble with her doing the domestic work and did the column writer know of any more people having trouble with their Negros and was there anything one could do to ease the breaking in of them? It would have been more interesting if the initial poster wrote in saying look, we used to have this problem, but this is how we solved it, what do you guys think? Even if it meant saying that he unfortunately had had to let the females go.

What would be really interesting is to have people discuss why there are so few women in the industry and what could be done to get more women into arb. Steve once asked me if I felt like starting some sort of female issue thread but I have conciously stayed away from it, but there you go Steve, there's one for ya right there.

i've seen some wimmens who could outwork the guys on the ground; but not the general rule... As far as attitude; mostly i've seen better, from the few ladies in the field i've seen. But, people are people; and any can have a chip on their shoulder.

As far as climbing. Ladies can be smaller, with a lower center of balance too. Lack of strength can make them depend more on technique, than brute force; which in time can get them further than most guys in some situations. They can also have a calming effect on the 'bullpen'; as well as more manners seen from the same 'bullpen'.

These are generalities; and they can be different.......... just like real people!

Treebogan brings up a good point, and one I think bears repeating. Granted I am not from your area, so governmental incentives would vary according to country, locality, etc.

But the point is what could the private sector do to get more women involved in this industry? What type of incentives, or recruitment would we use to attract more females to a predominantly male industry? What would the benefits be to the industry, and r the business involved?

Or would that even be a positive move? I have heard customers that have complained to me about other companies that have employed females, that they did not trust their qualifications, (That was the customers' comments not mine, and could be related to the fact the company they referred to is a bunch of hacks).

When my wife worked with me...(she never climbed but would help with the groundwork) people remembered us as a family business, attractive to some, but less than professional to others.

Any thoughts?:confused:

I can show all of you a young lady that would work rings around most of us. Big saws in the air will allways be an issue but as others have said it's about technique and using the right tools for the job. Let the lady strip the tree to a pole then he-man can block it down etc.

It's not rocket science is it ! and as for toilet breaks at work that is a pathetic issue all it takes is some planning and thought.

I've seen Anna fell the top out of a Beech with a 372 and yes she sruggled but she did it. Bugger me if I didn't struggle when i started as well.

We have had one diabolical ill motivated girl but that's because of her character rather than her gender.