Circle of death. Advisory

Dak

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Willow, poplar, ash, any tree with heavy head lean or weighting. Experience will tell you when it's likely to happen, until then take smaller pieces.

A sharp chain and a big enough saw for the job will help prevent it, as will boring the hinge, setting the sink cut deep enough and narrower, and making side cuts. I sometimes like deep side cuts, like a Coos Bay cut, to really power through the back cut quickly.

I have had it happen to me before, not a big bit though and I don't have my strop on my side d's anyway, its on one of my vids but I can't remember which.

One thing that you can do is choose where to fell your top... A splits most likely to occur on a clean grained piece of timber (think how easy logs like that are to split with an axe) if you fell your top just above a stub or branch the "cone" of branch wood that extends into the main stem helps to hold it together. Obviously you can't always find a suitable stub but often there will be something.

On conifers like spruce I will often remove one whorl of branches, and then fell just above the whorl.:001_smile:

Good tip Tom :thumbup1:

I had a willow go on me during a repollard job. About 14 inches dia split out and pulled me of my perch. No damage until I cut the hanger free and to support my self and to try and get back above limb I grabbed the only bit I could reach. This was the split stub and as the weight released it closed up on my fingers. No damage but did give me a good solid hand hold. ;)

Beat me to it Dak. Got the same email came through this morning and made me think. I have to change the way I have done things for years.

Pure habit to use d's 99.9%time, hard one to kick hey!.

Shame uk's so reactive to safety/best practice. Kudos NZ arb, very much more preemptive!!

:thumbup1: to Treetools Blog | life in trees - hell yeah! worth checking daily! for ideas, safety, the lot.....

:thumbup1:

Pure habit to use d's 99.9%time, hard one to kick hey!.

Shame uk's so reactive to safety/best practice. Kudos NZ arb, very much more preemptive!!

:thumbup1: to Treetools Blog | life in trees - hell yeah! worth checking daily! for ideas, safety, the lot.....

:thumbup1:

Yeh,good to see treetools being looked at from from around the world,:thumbup1: