HSE Madness

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no im an talking in general and not a specific case

What you are saying is right for a general member of the public finding themselves in an emergency situation. Not trained professionals.

The reason i am so emotive about this is because i nearly went down a pit shaft walking my dog less than a mile from this accident.

I reported it to the land owner immediately and fair due he got it sorted straight away but there is no way i could have ever got out of there.

I got a large dumper off a bloke who had managed to run himself over with it,it had stalled on his pelvis after mushing his leg,he was pinned in a wheel rut with only his head above water.

One bystander had to be removed from the imediate scene as he was trying to prevent rescue,(told him he would be the next one needing help if he persisted),I got the help of one other bystander(we where on a roadside),& whinched the machine up & off the trapped man,& gently removed him from the water.

I asked the victim if he wanted me to 'get it off him' before I proceeded,and made sure others heard his response,which was not hard as he made it all to obvious he was in agreement.

Fire brigade arrived about 20 mins after I had him out & even though he had very nasty leg injuries the machine was off him within 4 minutes of the accident,if he had remained trapped the consequencies could have been a lot worse.

I would do it again in a heartbeat if I considdered time to be an issue to the victims chances,& sod the legal guff.:001_smile:

When i did my first aid course we were warned that if a caualty was pinned under a heavy weight you had a max of 10 mins to get it off. After that you had to wait for medical assistance due to toxin build up in trapped part of body that could lead cardiac arrest if released. Obviously in above case he was released in time. Also the risk of drowning in puddle might force you to lift after 10 mins without attendant medical help

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

Terrible tragedy and thoughts to her friends and family.

Those not happy with the way the emergency services are run could always join up and show them how to do it.:thumbup1::sneaky2:

Obviously some mistakes were made or should I say decisions not made but I'm sure they save many hundreds of lives everyday that none of us hear about.

Aren't we lucky that if we feck up the worst is usually a broken fence panel or a late finish and not someones life.

When i did my first aid course we were warned that if a caualty was pinned under a heavy weight you had a max of 10 mins to get it off. After that you had to wait for medical assistance due to toxin build up in trapped part of body that could lead cardiac arrest if released. Obviously in above case he was released in time. Also the risk of drowning in puddle might force you to lift after 10 mins without attendant medical help

kwfhomepage

I was aware of the time scale in a roundabout way,but as you say the situation (in my mind at the time) did require him out of there.

I could well have messed up badly,but just did what I did,hard call when its in your face.

Just goes to show you can do the wrong thing entirely trying to help,and the wrong thing by holding back in some circumstances.:001_smile:

I've done one or two rescuse in my time, working on the roads many years ago we had a petrol tanker go over in the road works....petrol leaking all over the M6 climbed up onto the overturned cab to get the driver out, he was in desperate need of hospital treatmet, all he said was he needed his glasses and mobile phone....bless him.

Working in the drainage business, we were lowering a lad down in to a sewage pumping station when the man riding winch failed, tied a safety line to the back of the truck got down there clipped on to his harness and my mate pulled us out with the truck...job done.

I'd worry about the legal side of things later.

This incident has me truly shocked!

How on earth can someone say that the outcome was a success as the victim was removed from the shaft after 6hrs.:confused1:

Write up of inquiry here: Fire chief claims fatal 'rescue' was success - News - Scotsman.com

The tool 'Commander' Paul Steward sounds like he would have done absolutely nothing had the mountain rescue not turned up!

When asked what he would have done to effect rescue he(Steward) addded

"I don't know what we would need to conduct that rescue because it's not within our role or remit to conduct that rescue."

Mr Forbes(Lawyer for victim) said: "The bottom line is you don't know, just as you didn't know there was a mines rescue service and just as you didn't know the deterioration of the victim."

Absolutely unbelievable that in this country such tossers get promoted!:thumbdown:

BTW the 'Commander' that relieved Stewart agreed with his assessment!

Edited by Hawthorn
spelling :(

• 2 months later...

My leaving the fire service Was mainly due to Health and safety regulations.

I don't like where it's headed and all based on litigation too.

It will ultimately dirty up the human gene pool as more and more idiots are prevented from killing themselves.

I have to wonder though if those firemen knew she was a solicitor.