Should you need a licence to be an arborist?

Gregsie

Should tree surgery me more regulated  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should tree surgery me more regulated

• Agghh not more red tape. Wash your mouth out.
    • You should need an NPTC ticket to be able to buy a chainsaw.
    • Yes, arborists should be licenced.

whats so great about being a climber?

Good question!!

Where do I start, should have its own thread!!

Here are a few.

Its fun!

You earn more!

You can run your own firm with only a laborer (the more skilled they are the easier your life is)

You can take on any tree!

There are loads more but that a start!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical clmber elitism again :001_tongue:, whats so great about being a climber? How does that gauge your level of competancy? Never read sooo much utter nonsense. Good tree workers are essential, both on the ground and up aloft. Perhaps if some climbers got over how great they thought they were, and concentrated on being a part of a good team, standards and safety levels would be higher.

Stop twisting my words:sneaky2:

My point is if you want to climb going to college will not make you a climber nor will passing an nptc, when i started as a groundie i watched closely all the climbers i worked with and learnt far more from that than any nptc unit!

Being a good groundy is not easy either, my position is climber / groundy, we then have a lead climber and more dedicated groundy, we are one unit each knows how to read the other no one person is in charge or above the other and we work exceptionally well together.

I've worked for several companies some very effciently run, highly organised, highly trained indviduals, set team leaders but they lack the team dynamic it only take one weak link to let the team down.

We are poorly organised and some might say poorly run yet our work rate and quality is second to none, its us a team that makes the company, not the company.

Many, far far larger companies (outside of tree care) are run succesfully by people who are not on the tools, so why should arb be any different? Surely you dont need to be a climber to organise a tree job, sort out the tpo's, put in for the felling licence, and take the lions share of the money from the job. So I disagree on that point, climbers do what it says on the tin, I do everything else! Pay a good climber to do a good job, thats all he needs to be concerned with, and is only a small part in a much bigger picture.

i have spoke to my local stihl dealer and he has the same view as me, i feel that there should b a minimum competency for DIYers etc to buy a chainsaw. you cant buy a top handle without tickets so why should anyone be able to buy a ground saw without tickets.

i dont have nptc as yet but i would prefer to have at least cs30 and 31 before buying a saw so at least i have some sort of competency.

with the credit crunch etcmore and more people are buying chainsaws and log burning stoves so they can be more self suficient but they aint buying the correct ppe if any at all which will in turn make it harder for us to get tickets.

I know groundies who can match most top freelance climbers earning, its not the norm though.

True, but I bet they have to work a lot harder for that money than a good climber!

Another good reason to be a climber, the work is not as hard !

i have spoke to my local stihl dealer and he has the same view as me, i feel that there should b a minimum competency for DIYers etc to buy a chainsaw. you cant buy a top handle without tickets so why should anyone be able to buy a ground saw without tickets.

i dont have nptc as yet but i would prefer to have at least cs30 and 31 before buying a saw so at least i have some sort of competency.

with the credit crunch etcmore and more people are buying chainsaws and log burning stoves so they can be more self suficient but they aint buying the correct ppe if any at all which will in turn make it harder for us to get tickets.

totally agree, called into my local stihl dealer about 2 week ago and got chattin as ya do, then he asked me if i could swap a bit of cord wood for some oil as he was short to demo saws on, then he told me a guy had been in and bought a saw only to ask "how does it work":scared1: so he was given a 20 min lesson out back, quite frightening really, but at least he got some could of gone to home bodger for a cheap saw and got nowt i guess!.