one handed chainsaw usage

Matt Butler

Oh and you can work in peace and quiet, dont have to wear chainsaw trousers, make a neater job and be just as quick as someone with a chainsaw (on that little tree anyway) So I dont see that they are slower than a chainsaw, the effort well they weigh less than a chainsaw, boredom? Thats down to attitude I'm afraid. Perhaps time spent honing skills and attitude to the job would be time well spent?:001_rolleyes:

Agreed, I use a Silky when ever I can.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and you can work in peace and quiet, dont have to wear chainsaw trousers, make a neater job and be just as quick as someone with a chainsaw (on that little tree anyway) So I dont see that they are slower than a chainsaw, the effort well they weigh less than a chainsaw, boredom? Thats down to attitude I'm afraid. Perhaps time spent honing skills and attitude to the job would be time well spent?:001_rolleyes:

No chance.

The only thing a hand saw has over a chainsaw is noise, anything else is just an excuse to use a handsaw over a chainsaw ime.

I have seen quite a few people try and argue they are just as quick in certain circumstances but after awhile they realise they aren't and have to get the saw out to keep up.

I use a silky for ALL pruning jobs, a saw for takedowns... I'm not quicker with a silky than a saw BUT, the silky makes for a better job because i've not got extra weight on my harness and i find it easier and safer to get right out to the tips with a silky!

I even prefer to use secatuers, even on big reductions to get it looking even neater!:biggrin:

I use a silky for ALL pruning jobs, a saw for takedowns... I'm not quicker with a silky than a saw BUT, the silky makes for a better job because i've not got extra weight on my harness and i find it easier and safer to get right out to the tips with a silky!

I even prefer to use secatuers, even on big reductions to get it looking even neater!:biggrin:

It would seem I live in a different world than you so I cant compare tbh.

It would seem I live in a different world than you so I cant compare tbh.

:biggrin:

That's fine, tbh we all live in our own worlds, some prefer the saw, some prefer a silky, its what makes us unique!

We'd be dull and boring otherwise..:lol:

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

I hated the silky saw - was always cutting myself on them and found that they were no better in terms of comfortable reach for those tips. True, they give a better finishing cut but for slender branches you still need to hold the branch while you cut it or else the branch just moves around with the blade.

That's why I used loppers (first recommended to me by High Scale). You can reach tips a good 2 ft further out and still get a nice clean cut.

In terms of one-handed use of the chainsaw, I think it is acceptable in many situations but it can often be used as an excuse for poor work positioning. It's easy to become sloppy in this respect - you start off one-handing stuff for speed and then start to do it without tying in a strop/lanyard because that seems quicker still. After that it only takes a little slip.... be careful!