Yew off cut coffe table

MattyF

Feel as I'm getting a bit one trick pony with coffee tables but hey people keep asking for them.... This one Is off cuts from some yew I milled but to be honest feel the off cuts are more interesting than the planks!! Filled some Decay holes with resin that was expensive !! And Having issues with the French White polish !! Enjoying the end results though!

http://acea9999.jpg

http://24d6e55a.jpg

http://7726426f.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers lads .. Sad but true i feel the most interesting colours and burrs are and will be in the off cuts, but maybe I just like them abstract shapes because I'm not that way minded orr skilled to work with straight timber !! Any body got any tips for trying to work with French white polish ??? Trying to keep the White colours in the timber although it would of been Easyier to use Danish !

I think you have managed to keep/ bring out the colours of the timber beauifully. Dont you find that Danish colours it all a bit yellow?

I started using these guys nowadays, Ian Leach recommended them on here ages ago. They are really nice products.

Stuff looks good thanks for the link!, yeah the Danish turns the White pish yellow and seems to lose the reds and tuen them brown!! The French polish I have not perfected some of it is really shiny followed by dull patches but spoke to a guy who seems to think that happens in change of grain direction...

Spot on Matty :biggrin:

I find coffee tables are the best sellers for me as well. I suppose it's cause everyone can find a place for them and they go in the boot nicely.

I now have UV cure resin (low odour) for £40-00 + vat a gallon - just pour in and sunlight (UV) turns it rock hard in 3 to 4 mins. Very simple to use.

I always find yew comes out lovely just after sanded with as you say white sapwood and red heartwood. But no matter what you use after a few weeks the sapwood goes yellow and the heartwood more browny red....