Who's cut themselves climbing!

Dak

yes i do, as you are supposed to in a tree.

on the ground, only when finished on current task.

i'm not a council worker, so i switch off to save fuel plus wear and tear.

yes - my 2yr tools still look brand new!

Really?

I just couldnt be doing with that at all tbh.

Plus RSI from starting the saw constantly could also be a problem.

If there is going to be quite awhile from one cut to the next I will switch it off but generally its running most of the time im in the tree, never ever caused a problem.

Plus its not always best for the life of the engine to swtich it off after its been used hard, ticking over for a minute or two will cool it down a bit.

Anyway if it works for you then no worries.:thumbup1:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A colleague cut his forearm in half with an 020t. He was a thicko holding a Cedar branch over the top of the bar for no reason. Just no appreciation for danger at all. Heavier than he thought I suppose. It used to surprise me that Cedrus atlantica sometimes. Heavy foliage. The thicko tried to sue his employer even though it was his fault. The HSE says an employer is always at least 20% resposable. WTF! He is a copper now!

Treestyle Arboriculture: Professional Tree Surgeons, Manchester

Spot on!!!!

I get sick of reading on here how "dangerous" our job is and people talk about wanting danger money:001_rolleyes: and "putting their lives on the line :001_rolleyes:, we should be charging for our skill, that should make the job safer .

Yes Paul is spot on. As for our job being "Dangerous" and getting "Danger Money" i think i may have mentioned this before (possible dig at me perhaps?)

The thing is that our job IS dangerous or hazardous if you prefer and it is our skill that stops us from being killed or injured. I think my point about danger money in another thread was more tongue in cheek than anything else but it is valid. Do you think we get paid enough for our skill? I certainly dont think we get what we are due and the danger money was just a way to try and bump up our price. Anyway thats not what this thread was about, it was about injuries.

I think the most valid point Paul mentioned was about training but how can you train someone how to do something that takes years of experience to do in the safest and most economical way. Simple answer is you cant. What can be done is to train people as best as possible and make sure they understand simple things like exactly where tensions and compressions are, how important it is to have a stable work position, an understanding of where the hazards are and how to avoid them etc etc. My point before about people i have seen working is that they have no clue where the danger is and to me this is why we need to make sure they DONT pass chainsaw tickets unless they can show a degree of common sense, which automatically points you in the direction of seeing hazards and avoiding them.

I see AA Teccie's point in the accident book and all the other guff that goes with H&S but it is more useful to the robots than anyone else IMO. We have our PPE, we have our chainsaw tickets, we have a brain so let us get on with it.

I worked with a guy that was very appreciative of advice that i gave and the best way to do this and that blah blah which sometimes he listened and sometimes he didnt. The times he didnt and something went wrong he explained to me that he prefers to make his own mistakes because that way he learns better. Now that to me sums it up perfectly. I read an accident book once and i just pissed myself laughing at some of the stupidity in it, i learned nothing from it except there is more stupidity in the world than i thought.

Anyway i am going on a bit again:blushing:

Before i go AA Teccie i am getting on a bit in arborist terms and i do have aches and pains from a physical job but i regret nothing. My working life has been full of excitement and wonderful things and i learn more every day, including the fact that i am more dangerous with a silky in my left hand than with the right. So to avoid cutting myself more i use my right as a preference and the left is used only when cutting full stretch, or is helping the right:001_rolleyes:

If turning a saw off is bad for the life of the motor then so what!?:confused1:

I've only one life and two arms.

FFSAKE! a saw costs what...? £400+

An arm...? Priceless but there is always Barclaycard I guess...

'Two armed Ty'

I offered Ty for 2 but she wouldn't ask her sister...:001_rolleyes:

Whenever I mentioned the danger side of this job, the guy who taugt me used to always say, "It's only dangerous if you are doing it wrong!". There's at least some truth in it, even if the occassional unforseen occurs.

I agree and the occasional unforeseens become less unforeseen the more you do it.

If turning a saw off is bad for the life of the motor then so what!?:confused1:

I've only one life and two arms.

FFSAKE! a saw costs what...? £400+

An arm...? Priceless but there is always Barclaycard I guess...

'Two armed Ty'

I offered Ty for 2 but she wouldn't ask her sister...:001_rolleyes:

nicely put

How on earth can a chainsaw on tick over be 'dangerous' enough to loose an arm?:confused1: or do any other damage for that matter.

And people complain the HSE are being too over cautious.:001_rolleyes:

i mentioned that in a previous post. hope one day it will be acknowledged.

didn't bother reading the long posts

wear gloves for your silky, i'm a barber (since i was 15yrs) you dont get paid if you stick a stripe up somebodies head, just cut what needs cutting.

chainsaws?? i'm confused, are you dropping, moving, swinging a running saw? surely with practice you could switch it off and waste 5mins, then you will have all your fingers and thumbs.

as per CS31 - you are to wait until the saw has stopped running before you remove it from the tree.

I'd suggest you do actually read the longer posts. This thread notwithstanding, pretty well most of the people prepared to write a long response to a thread have something valid to say. Generally, it's based on a deal of experience within the industry. There is rarely a long response without some value in it. The challenge is to be able to verbalise ones thoughts for everyone to understand the point one is attempting to portray. Picking the right form of words that says what you want to say without upsetting others is not always possible. I dare say hairdressing has its hazards too.

Very few climbers switch off between cuts, that's what the chainbrake is for. The point about a CS course for silkys is well intentioned but the principles are broadly similar to a chainsaw. Don't get any part of your body in the line of the cut. No matter how well trained climbers are there will always be occasions when errors or unforeseen incidents occur. Just as with racing drivers, to get it wrong can be catastrophic.

Oh! I got a scratch on my arm on Friday from a bramble in a tree. Do I write that in the accident book?