Who's cut themselves climbing!

Dak

Hey folks,

Just doing some research into cuts serious silkys and toppers alike!

Few questions I'd like to ask those of you who have be unlucky enough to get bitten!

1) where was the cut, if arms which one left or right?

2) did you start first aid In the tree, apply dressing etc

3) Were you rescued or able to descend

4) Was your personal and team kit adequate

5) Ambulance transportation or dis you get dropped off at a+e!

Having a bit of experience in pre hospital and emergency care I'm appalled at the state of the laws regarding first aid training and to be Frank alot of treeworkers attitude towards first aid!

I'm hoping to build up a big picture of incidents as so many aren't reported, so I can improve a) my personal medical skills and b) possibly improve and come up with solutions/ better practices for aerial trauma!

Many thanks in advance for your help guys!

Climb safe!

Edited by Dak

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been bitten 4-5 times, once serious twice split same finger with saw on cut and chuck

two leg cuts one opened my knee like a tin of pilchards! jeans on leg cuts! not rescued climbed out, finger cuts ripped a t shirt and continued working the ground one handed.

at those times, wot first aid kit!

went via ambulance on the leg cut, all chainsaw, wont even count the bow saw cuts!:lol:

I now carry the arb aid kit.

Ive been bitten 4-5 times, once serious twice split same finger with saw on cut and chuck

two leg cuts one opened my knee like a tin of pilchards! jeans on leg cuts! not rescued climbed out, finger cuts ripped a t shirt and continued working the ground one handed.

at those times, wot first aid kit!

went via ambulance on the leg cut, all chainsaw, wont even count the bow saw cuts!:lol:

I now carry the arb aid kit.

maybe packed a paramedic in there too LOL

Hey folks,

Just doing some research into cuts serious silkys and toppers alike!

Few questions I'd like to ask those of you who have be unlucky enough to get bitten!

1) where was the cut, if arms which one left or right?

2) did you start first aid In the tree, apply dressing etc

3) Were you rescued or able to descend

4) Was your personal and team kit adequate

5) Ambulance transportation or dis you get dropped off at a+e!

Having a bit of experience in pre hospital and emergency care I'm appalled at the state of the laws regarding first aid training and to be Frank alot of treeworkers attitude towards first aid!

I'm hoping to build up a big picture of incidents as so many aren't reported, so I can improve a) my personal medical skills and b) possibly improve and come up with solutions/ better practices for aerial trauma!

Many thanks in advance for your help guys!

Climb safe!

i had a nasty silky cut this year,had to have a op has i cut a nerve:001_rolleyes:

cut was to right wrist.

started 1st aid on ground.

was able to desend myself

1st aid kit was fine.

was taken to a+e by my co worker.

i was working for a LA at the time,ive worked for them on many occasions,work for them last week and will be there for 4 days next week,i also work for myself and sub for a few companies.

i was lucky as my co worker [who is a full time council empolyee] is also a retained fireman and past a 1st aid course in heavy blood loss,he packed me up well and took me to A+E,i knew it was more than just a cut due to the top of my hand going numb straight away,was refered to a hospital burns and plastic unit,where the wrist was opened back up and nerve repaired:thumbup:

only lost a few weeks and have 100% use of hand but still a little numbness.

Thanks for the info guys, I trust you have all made good recoveries!

keep it coming!

Sensible man Hama, I must admit it is the best kit available on sale ATM!!

What are you guys keeping on your harnesses out of interest?