Who's cut themselves climbing!

Dak

I have been working in the industry for long enough to have cut rope pants hands (silky) bla bla and to known better than to wear jeans but am getting a bit lazy (never would when I was young)and on the ground chipping sometime wear jeans which always means cutting the odd bit of wood up (would have been out of my comfort zone 10 years ago)But would never admit to it in public :blushing:

I think some of the real bad ones seem to be with the stumpy

Had a customer collapse on me recently forgot all the important things and **** myself Hope I never have to deal with any thing like that again.

:blushing: I think you just have :001_tongue:

Edited by combined tree services

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only cut I have had in my 17+ years in the industry was a slight graze to the back of my right hand when cutting and holding 10+ years ago, it was nothing major, requiring no treatment and I stayed in the tree.

I've had no other cuts, but I don't really use a silky.

If you enter this industry you need to be prepared to take a few knocks. Me writing in a book that i've been a nob and messed up won't help anyone,

I've done myself badly with a silky took a nice chunk off my thumb, did i get down, go write in a book and go to A&E? no i got the job done went and helped on another, then went to A&E (Same experience for most of my other injuries).

Stupid yes, as it was worthy of a trip straight there, but i think thats the kind of blokes we are!

There are so many variables in our work it will never be 100% safe, it can't be. Its our experience and skill that make it closer to that "safe" mark. We learn from OUR mistakes not others (most of the time). Its why things like cutting yourself with a silky are all most like a rite of passage. Face it we love it!

If you enter this industry you need to be prepared to take a few knocks. Me writing in a book that i've been a nob and messed up won't help anyone,

I've done myself badly with a silky took a nice chunk off my thumb, did i get down, go write in a book and go to A&E? no i got the job done went and helped on another, then went to A&E (Same experience for most of my other injuries).

Stupid yes, as it was worthy of a trip straight there, but i think thats the kind of blokes we are!

There are so many variables in our work it will never be 100% safe, it can't be. Its our experience and skill that make it closer to that "safe" mark. We learn from OUR mistakes not others (most of the time). Its why things like cutting yourself with a silky are all most like a rite of passage. Face it we love it!

Well said. I'm not a fan of 1 handed chainsaw use because I know people who have cut arms, legs, shoulders and throats all using a climbing saw one handed. I've not cut myself but have fallen from trees and broken my ribs up a tree. Fact is if you don't want to get busted up dont do this work. If you want to play with chainsaws and swing around in trees then expect some wear and tear

Well said. I'm not a fan of 1 handed chainsaw use because I know people who have cut arms, legs, shoulders and throats all using a climbing saw one handed. I've not cut myself but have fallen from trees and broken my ribs up a tree. Fact is if you don't want to get busted up dont do this work. If you want to play with chainsaws and swing around in trees then expect some wear and tear

If a man has the strength to control a saw one handed then it is the safest use, well away from the body out stretched to the cut, the saw at its furthest point from the body achievable and my PREFERRED mode of operation.

It does take a long time to build the muscle to hold a saw and make a controlled cut this way and agree it can be iffy until strength is gained, but I did work this way when o20ts where made from ally and tip heavy.

I know this one handed use is controversal but I dont see why, its not a problem till we start holding the bits at the same time!:001_rolleyes:

I use a tape sling to cut and chuck these days.:biggrin:

If a man has the strength to control a saw one handed then it is the safest use, well away from the body out stretched to the cut, the saw at its furthest point from the body achievable and my PREFERRED mode of operation.

It does take a long time to build the muscle to hold a saw and make a controlled cut this way and agree it can be iffy until strength is gained, but I did work this way when o20ts where made from ally and tip heavy.

I know this one handed use is controversal but I dont see why, its not a problem till we start holding the bits at the same time!:001_rolleyes:

in broad agreement with the above, ps what's tape sling?

Very good post, apart from the tape sling bit

Hi im Andrew and im new on here.Please bear with me if i type in the wrong topic pages as evolution is slow to catch on with me and internet. :)

Cuts and climbing.....

No major ones fortunatly

Mainly jumping silky cuts that take days to heal

ive cut my leg with climbing saw once in the past which required stiches and glue not too serious but looked awsome!

cut my phone with 200t once when it was in the rear leg pouch on forest wear pants!!that was amusing to explain to phone insurance dudes.lol

My pet hate is sharpening saws,as soon as you've taken glove off for a brew,u start sharpening again,forget the glove,SLIP and bang to the bone on your knuckle!!

repeat offender for this.lol.

Why is man highlighted in bold?