Splitting fatigue.

Mark Bolam

I'd put it down to mental frustration, drains energy quicker than anything

steve's answer hits it on the head.

I have had this issue with some big five foot around lumps pine that have been sat seasoning and gone like concrete full of knots and just grind you down mentally.I just breath calmly stare at the log gather my head together and thump that sucker like its my most hated enemy.Splitting by hand will ruin your body in the end tho.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean Mark but I don't know the answer. My best guess is that you are using more energy on the second swing than on the first to try to ensure it splits. Upon failing to spit on the second swing you put even more effort in and on it goes. Then you have to do the sly check over the shoulder to make sure no one can see you are struggling! Getting the maul unstuck from a knotty piece is even more knackering.

I still do good sessions of splitting by hand the above makes sense. As getting the maul out can be a pain...

... I'd say it's because you get into a nice rhythm splitting clean wood - the nasty knotty bits upset this.

If you jogged a constant pace you could run x miles and not get tired. Sprint 50 yards, touch the ground, then 50 yards back the other way..... you feel more knackered covering this 100 yards than half a mile.

:001_smile:

Get a splitter. We got one because most of our stuff was knotty and an axe was good but a splitter on the tractor was 5x quicker at least. Went from a cube an hour to 5 cube an hour average. Still didn't manage to get all what we have split. Got a big pile.

I would put the quick energy loss to the difference in rhythm. You are splitting well and then bang it doesn't work and you get tired quickly doing that. It's the same with me.

• 2 months later...

We used to do all firewood including deal elms with axes and those wedges from Husqvarna. Splitting wedge - Forest tools

In a woodland we used a fresh tree stump as the shock wave works better than onto a movable ring on soil which acts as a cushion.

Then the wood supplies/trees became full of knots and twisted grains so stressed and that make one tired so purchased a Hi-Crack screw thread machine and would not go back. It's simple, fast and effective.