Why are Stihl Saws half price in the States?

Mike Hill

Just got back from a visit to the States,066 with Full wrap handle and 36" Bar and chain............... £600

MS192 with 16" Bar and Chain........ £200

Surely the European market is bigger than the American one,plus these prices were at a dealer in a one Horse Town in California.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I gather it has everything to do with what(the manufactures not the dealers) think they can get away with, bugger all to do with volume of sales etc etc.

I base the above on what ive been told about products that arent arb related, but I guess it doesnt really matter what the product is.

Edited by Mesterh

Quite simply the USA is better friends with the germans and japanese lmao .

Being serious quite a high % of the price increase is caused by the UK's taxation systems , i would guess that if you were tocount on your fingers how many times tax is applied to an item such as a chainsaw from the moment it enters this country to the time you finaly put it to work i dont think you would have many fingers or toes left !!!!

Just got back from a visit to the States,066 with Full wrap handle and 36" Bar and chain............... £600

I think by the time you added sales tax and the credit card company took their cut at the current poor rate, it would have been nearer £650-700.

You can get a 660 for £850 here, so the savings aren't anything like half price. When a pound was worth around 2 US dollars there were some bargains around :thumbup1:

Yes, and your VAT was a lot lower as well. Just think how much more business would be generated by reducing the VAT or better yet zero it out over time?. That sure would be a Boom for business IMO.

easy-lift guy

That would be OK, but would we ever get the deficit down then??

I know the USA has decided that your deficit is not a problem and your just going to keep adding digits to the Time Square clock as required, but I don't think we could get away with it (not being a super power and all)