Do you need CS41 to carry out dismantling?

Al Duffill

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I omitted from my post, I am employed and have asked to go on the course but to no avail, having the training and equipment to do these operations certainly would help myself and colleagues. We've only just been using a capstan thanks to me, no one seems aware or bothered about new techniques.

I just checked some of Bob's links, HSE say you need to be trained and competant by your employer, bingo!:thumbup1:

And yes, I do large fells with my 15" bar, takes forever :biggrin:

You will probably find that if you follow ALL of the HSE rules your boss will bankrupt in no time but then again that wouldn't matter as you wouldn't make it out of the yard in the morning! :001_smile:

If you can already do the job why the need for the ticket?

Tbh though, and no offence if employees start mentioning HSE, duty of care etc they probably won't be around for long.

Unless it's a really bad unsafe place to work but then you wouldn't be there I guess.

i would think its something like this......

if you are pruning and taking of pieces of about 1" to 12" diameter you would be fine with your 39, than if you had to lower a pruned piece that would ok too.

on the way down, i think you could have 50/50 cs31/cs32 or the required cs41 when lowering, based on technique and size/weight of piece.

so if every piece was lowered and of a certain size, cs41 would be required.

look for a gap and chuck it down:laugh1:

Chucking down would still require a 41, as it's dismantling AND rigging

So

what happens if something goes wrong

I've never known a climber with anything other than 38 & 39 30& 31

Have I been winging it all these years

Are we saying if you damage yourself with a big bar then get the 15" bar out the bag and drip blood on it

Must admit this obsession with tickets for everything is making work very difficult.

do you need tickets for anything?...of course the answer is yes. I know quite a few blokes who lack even the most basic NPTC units who are more than capable of dismantliing trees....if however there was an accident...they be in it up to their necks.:blushing:

Have you a link to this info????

What action was taken?????

Can't find the article online but it was in the winter 2010 arb magazine. Doesn't say about action taken following the incident but notes the hse inspector was complimentary of the teams action in rescue and professionalism.

Chucking down would still require a 41, as it's dismantling AND rigging

Sorry matey but you are wrong

You would only need 41 if lowering

CS 39 now covers vertical pieces and step cuts so you CAN dismantle a tree unless you use a rope.

It does not matter what size or anything

But obviously you should build up your experience

Can't find the article online but it was in the winter 2010 arb magazine. Doesn't say about action taken following the incident but notes the hse inspector was complimentary of the teams action in rescue and professionalism.

yeah,i read that article,no major fallout for employer