Under quoted !!!!!!!!!!

Arborlord

Guys after some of the what would you have done advice

Gave a customer an estimate started the job priced for one full day turns our to be twice as much to do as i first quoted for.

Any way ended up 2 full days so i asked for an extra 75 quid on the job as that covered my exact costs.

I cocked right up they got the job for the price it cost me to do i earned nothing.

Do you think it was fair to ask for that little bit extra to cover costs bearing in my it was an estimate not a written quote.:confused1:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you tell them you wanted the 75 when you'd finished the job, or as soon as you realised that you'd underpriced? As long as they were sure it was an estimate that you'd given them I think that there isn't a problem!! Just a bit embarrassing!!!

I can remember a job that we'd priced up without looking very closely. We put a price on removing a row of conifers opposite a hedge that we'd cut for a few years. The guy that passed the work on to my boss told him it was only a day and so my mate just stuck a day on it to help him out. Got to the job and took a couple of these trees out and realised that we'd MAJORLY underpriced. The only options were to walk away or go knock on the door and ask for more money. Cue one very embarressed boss and me walking on eggshells for the rest of the day to avoid a beasting....

I'm just glad that I didn't have to have that conversation

I never ask for more money, i may tell them i under priced and they got a cheap job but i put it down to experience and lean not to make the same cock up again, I have never gone back and asked for more..... but thats just me. ya live and learn

I did estimate not a quote.

I never ask for more ever this is a first i just could not complete the second day unless he agreed the extra.

I took in a break down of my costs to prove im not swindling him.

I do feel like an arse an yes very embarrest but i grew some balls and had no choice.

I actually lost £6 pounds after i paid all out not a good week haha gotta laugh or ill go and cry myself to sleep for being such an nob.

I learned quite some time ago that conifers require more than a cursory glance when pricing. They can produce far more chip and timber to dispose of than you first expect. Are they single stemmers, or have they been topped before? Size of re-growth on previously topped all has to be taken into consideration. How easy is the access, can you get the chipper close, all important considerations in the job. I'd think of the price I need, then add a bit more for any inconveniences.

If I'd got the price wrong, then thats my loss on that job, cant really be adding more on later, just learn from it, and try and make up some ground over the next few jobs, you win some.....you lose some!!

If you quoted the job and the client added to it after that, you are entitled to invoice pro rata for any extra works.

If the job was bigger than you quoted for then you are at the mercy of the client’s discretion. The best lessons are the ones that cost you money.

This comes down to not having standard terms and conditions or better yet, a written contract. It’s always worth taking the time to put some paperwork in place.

Andy