Under quoted !!!!!!!!!!

Arborlord

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never ask for more money, i may tell them i under priced and they got a cheap job but i put it down to experience and lean not to make the same cock up again, I have never gone back and asked for more..... but thats just me. ya live and learn

:dito:

I don't do estimates, only quotes and stick to them!!

The nearest I come to estimates is to on occasion's give them a maximum and tell them that if I can do it for less I will.

I'd be asking myself if I was way too cheap if thats the case!!

Good point Andy!, if I had a job that was cost-ed for one day but took two, I would still make money, not a lot but, it would not have actually cost me to have done the job.

Well I'm gonna have a bit of a moan here so get ready :001_smile:

Firstly I hate the way people give "estimates" and not "quotes" You look at the job and give them a price simple as that. So what if you underestimate the amount of chip/log to take away its not the customers problem. I've lost jobs because some unnamed muppet has came in and underpriced the job giving an "estimate" completed the job then gave some sob story about he didnt think there would be that much brash (using a trailer) and it cost him more to dump it all off therefore asking the customer for more dough which ended up more than my original "quote" :mad1:

I mean why an "estimate"? do you basically say "I think it will be about £400 quid mate but I wont be sure until I've cleaned up and put the gear in the van so don't fill the cheque in just yet"!

Secondly, if you get to a job and realise there is more work than you planned then you should discuss this with the customer BEFORE you start not get halfway through or finish the job then ask for more cash.

We can all under estimate things sometimes although 2 days instead of one is very excessive, but If I was halfway through and realised it was going t***s up then you just have to grin and bare it or walk away and not charge anything, thats the way I see it.

A couple of times I've thought S**t what have I done but we have always finished the job.

It's a different ball game if things have changed since you priced the work up, new shed,conservatory etc in the way or more work added on, the price gets changed before we even start.

Anyhow looks like you really screwed up on the price there so I hope it taught you a lesson :001_tongue:

Winge over, seems like youve only done this once dont make a living out of it eh like some peeps I know. At the end of the day we aint a bunch of thieving builders/flaggers/fencers/roofers etc.

goes with the flow

Ask your self would you only ask for £xless if it took you half the time you estimaited.

Common sense really if you had some one in to work for you and it was obvious the estimate was way off then be fair i certainlly would.

I never ask for more money, i may tell them i under priced and they got a cheap job but i put it down to experience and lean not to make the same cock up again, I have never gone back and asked for more..... but thats just me. ya live and learn

Same goes for me...happened more than once that customer been impreesed with quality in the end, clearing up etc., and me walking back to the car with a HUGE tip in my pocket. Your cockup isnt your customers fault! On other occasions customer stopped me from tidying up after them realising that I underpriced the job, so to stop me from making such a bad mistake and end up with no profit. These customers quite often becomes clients...regular customers that is.:001_smile:

Yes actually if finish to early i offer some money back.

Madness, you win some you lose some...

I might feel a bit of guilt when I walk away with two days cash for one days work but I'm not going to give the client cash back. Give a quote before the job, the client knows what he's getting and you know what your doing. If the job changes the price changes.. otherwise live with it.

I just want to throw this into the equation, if on the other hand you over quoted a job and it took you less time would you give the customer some money back.

No, it works both ways, the price i give is the price for the job, the customer accepts the price and if so he is happy with it so if i finish in half the time it's MY bonus if i finish late its there's, I never give money back unless it's for a brocken plant pot etc then i offer to replace things out of courtesy. you have to take the rough with the smooth.:001_smile: