Glasses or lenses?

Daniël Bos

What eye condition have you got? Also what type of lenses have you been suggested? I first had solid lenses for my eye condition and they were murder so I didn't bother with them. My eyes always streamed so I couldn't see so good, and a spec of dust or something behind it, and it was like having sand paper in your eyes. 6 years later they have finally made glasses for me :) Job done

I have astgimatism (fat eyes).

They've made me up some lenses that should last a month, but don't really know anything about them. I'll also have a pair of glasses for if/when I get fed up with the lenses.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my younger (student) days I had a constant open sore at the top of the bridge of my nose. My doctor asked me what was the cause of this sore and I explained it was from glasses, he recommended contact lenses but I politely declined explaining that I didn’t think you could get much beer in them.:laugh1:

Ill get mi coat

Just a thought but have you considered laser eye surgery? I had it 15 years ago and it's the best money I ever spent, no regression, no glasses, no lenses, no more hassles it's bloody brilliant, plus I think it's feasible even with astigmatism. I have a few mates who've done it since, all with fantastic resuts and no side effects.

Like I said just a thought:thumbup1:

I wear disposable lenses for arb-work, and use glasses elsewhere.

The problem with wearing glasses for arb-work is:

* Dust on the glasses

* Sweat dripping from your eyebrows onto the inside of the glasses (combined with dust and you're blinded)

* Raindrops on the glasses

* No way to clean them properly while climbing

* Branches pulling them off your face

The problems with (disposable) contacts

* They are more expensive (disposable)

* They may become uncomfortable late in the day when fine dust gets lodged between the lens and the cornea

If you are short-sighted, it may become difficult to see the fine details using lenses (chain sharpening etc), since you can't just pull them off like with glasses. But my optician suggested getting one of the lenses (on the "passive" eye) with a "weaker" strength to allow me to see objects at a close distance clearer. Your passive eye is the one that you DONT use when pointing at something (i.e. the eye that does not line up with your finger when pointing). Don't know how to explain it better.

But to conclude: I'd choose disposable contact lenses any day chile climbing.

Rover, Ive worn contact lenses as a tree surgeon for the last 6 years with no problems. my advice would be to get the daily disposable ones, so its not the end of the world when you have to ditch one up a tree. Having said that in all the time ive been climbing ive only lost 5 or so lenses. I make a point to wear sunglasses or saftey glasses on the dustyist of jobs, like ringing down a trunk in gusty wind. And I certainly dont keep my hands clean! in the event you do get something behind a lense that wont blink away you can suck a finger clean enough to swap it out.

Good luck with it anyway! I know the daily disposable are more expensive but totally worth it imho.

What he said ^^^ worn contacts for nearly 10 years now with no problems at all. It's very very rare that I have to ditch a lens at work. I wear sun glasses almost all the time when up a tree as well.

Hours in front of a computer are more problematic.

Thanks guys, really helpfull advice there.

I had not considered lasering, but will definately look into it! How much £'s ?

I've got some hard lenses (I think, should last a month?) waiting at the opticians and will get them thursday when I'm near there.

Does anyone that wear lenses also wear glasses (maybe for particular jobs, light or to leek clever?) as I thought it would be good to have a pair as a back-up?

Looking forward to less staring at stuff and less tired eyes!