What's on your bench today?

spudulike

4 minutes ago, billpierce said:
1 hour ago, Toad said:
Think don't think there is transfer on the exhaust side. The piston seems smooth there, although there are still some faint marks. The inlet side is a little worse with a couple of scratches you can just feel, I assume this is from poor filtration in the past?
20190108_190438.thumb.jpg.3131fe93b035095b20d56b8ef1faaed6.jpg
20190108_190550.thumb.jpg.1677f95bb9651802743a08932a79af77.jpg

Read more  

Aye doesnt look to bad at all. Happy days

Hopefully will start putting it back together this weekend. Got any tips for removing the carbon build up?

Think don't think there is transfer on the exhaust side. The piston seems smooth there, although there are still some faint marks. The inlet side is a little worse with a couple of scratches you can just feel, I assume this is from poor filtration in the past?
20190108_190438.thumb.jpg.3131fe93b035095b20d56b8ef1faaed6.jpg
20190108_190550.thumb.jpg.1677f95bb9651802743a08932a79af77.jpg

Never played with husky saws at all, are they all same in respect to their pistons and only having a single ring?

9 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Nothing obvious at all, just a lot of bag in the con rod / big end, quite a bit of up and down movement and you can also feel excessive wear when twisting left to right too. Cylinder and piston are good, if it was mine for what work it’ll do i’d just replace crank, bearings and seals.

Just done a lot of work maybe? Wonder what oil has been used in it? They can get used fairly hard so could be wear and tear, just curious..

Just done a lot of work maybe? Wonder what oil has been used in it? They can get used fairly hard so could be wear and tear, just curious..

He runs it on stihl’s red one shot hp oil in a 5 litre tetra can. My only concern with the 5 litre cans is that they can actually hold more than 5 litres! so if you nearly brim one i think theyre nearer 5 1/4 litres, so to put a one shot in then means obviously a leaner mix. Hes had it for prob 8yrs that i know of, not sure how old it is, there is a serial number on the crankcase so could possibly find out, its a very clean cosmetically example for a used TS400, majority are normally far more battered, i know mine is ?

Hopefully will start putting it back together this weekend. Got any tips for removing the carbon build up?

Nah, no idea, sorry, I usually just dont worry about it too much! Not had a pot off that looked really really bad though

Edit: not that I reckon that pot looks to bad to me mind.

Usually after a hone with wet and dry it will have taken a bit carbon of the top of the cylinder anyways

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ratman said:

He runs it on stihl’s red one shot hp oil in a 5 litre tetra can. My only concern with the 5 litre cans is that they can actually hold more than 5 litres! so if you nearly brim one i think theyre nearer 5 1/4 litres, so to put a one shot in then means obviously a leaner mix. Hes had it for prob 8yrs that i know of, not sure how old it is, there is a serial number on the crankcase so could possibly find out, its a very clean cosmetically example for a used TS400, majority are normally far more battered, i know mine is ?

Closer to 6.. I usually stick to 4.8 ltrs and don't worry too much about getting the last drop out! If I'm feeling thrifty I might swill it out with a drop of petrol but it's rare that happens! Funny how some cosmetically clean machines can be buggered inside and other rough ould yokes go forever!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Never played with husky saws at all, are they all same in respect to their pistons and only having a single ring?

I think some have two rings. The huztl pistons have two rings, although you can just run with one apparently.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Nah, no idea, sorry, I usually just dont worry about it too much! Not had a pot off that looked really really bad though

Edit: not that I reckon that pot looks to bad to me mind.

Usually after a hone with wet and dry it will have taken a bit carbon of the top of the cylinder anyways

Do I take that as you normally just manually hone the cylinder? I've got a few grades of wet and dry from polishing my huztl build ports.

Closer to 6.. I usually stick to 4.8 ltrs and don't worry too much about getting the last drop out! If I'm feeling thrifty I might swill it out with a drop of petrol but it's rare that happens! Funny how some cosmetically clean machines can be buggered inside and other rough ould yokes go forever!

I’ve PROPER ABUSED my old girl [emoji51] think i bought it back in 2005 time, gave £150 for it, (cash [emoji6]) and only ever put a carb kit in it other year when the chuffing thing conked on me half way through cutting my hearth for my fireplace [emoji13]

An old schoolmate  brought his 026 over saying the starter had jammed. he brings it to me about once a year and in between cuts about 4m3 firewood and  occasionally uses it at his work as a roofer, I doubt he puts 10l through it a year so it's generally in good nick.026.jpeg.7af23cdb637cc44d55348368992ba970.jpeg

A fin had broken off and become jammed in the inductive pick up. There was no damage on the oustide of the broken fin indicating it had beed striking anything. There was also no sign of anything  being poked through the cooling slots norany reason to suggest the starter cover had been removed.

I had to slack off the coil and readjust it, put it together and it ran fine.

There was no chance it was over revving as the air filter was so dirty it only managed 9k rpm but once cleaned  it was 12500 rpm on Hi idle. A quick sharpen and it cut through my little pile of the beginnings of next year's firewood fine.

• Like 1