What's on your bench today?

spudulike

It's been a hedge-cutter day:

Echo 331 - coil

Echo 2410 - stop switch

Echo 265 - flexi drive

Stihl KM-HL

Been on one of those damn four mix long reach trimmers today, fortunately better than the ones you had - hate the bloody things, sound lie a fishing boat on idle:lol:

The other part of the day was an MS200, always enjoyable to me and got in to autodrive with Absolute 80s in the background, Frank Skinner and the lovely Emily Dean in the background, all good:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a curious one, the case of the MS460 and the blacksmith:001_rolleyes:

I received a MS460 as a box of parts, the saw had a new cylinder with some dubious porting work - porting is all about widening ports, possibly changing port durations and a load of other stuff - this saw had the outer part of the port significantly widened causing a step in the surface as the cylinder port flows over the gasket and in to the muffler - not too clever but will live with it.

The strangest thing was the flywheel had been removed with heat and an angle grinder - how strange is that???

The pics show the crank stub shaft with the flywheel removed and the oil filler cap - yup, bizzare:confused1:

59766d9f0ecaf_OilFillerCap.jpg.4575926f5d4755acbe9c0c1777bd3049.jpg

59766d9f0c992_CrankEnd.jpg.bcc0d83d5a6ca257efd1ba378874ce0b.jpg

On with the case of the MS460 and the blacksmith......or possibly butcher:001_rolleyes:

The saw came with a spare crank....handy that so I needed to split the cases - bolts removed and my home made splitter in place - 10 mins later, job done. The joys of building a purpose made jig....no beating a saw with a mallet:thumbup:

Pics below show the splitter before and after: -

59766d9f19f36_Splitter2.jpg.74757c1b8c4bc7e02d0fbc45e3f6676f.jpg

Splitter.jpg.6e87ed652b728a9f499283a36b0dcb75.jpg

All was going Sooooo well:001_rolleyes: until I found the flywheel side bearing had lost all its ball bearings leaving the centre to fall out leaving the outer race in place in a semi blind hole (semi blind as you can't just drive the outer race through as normal).

So, what to do - I was thinking of all sorts and then thought bugger - diamond burr and grind it through on two sides. Two hours later and with minimal damage to the seat, the outer race caved and gave up the fight!

What fun this saw is being:001_rolleyes::lol:

Finished.jpg.23fb3324a25bba154a97593c5f82b051.jpg

59766d9f21371_Groundouterrace.jpg.5fd0c621da9d3122f208bf2191ee9f43.jpg

59766d9f1e535_Outerringleftin.jpg.17079b015f83027cec863a654b0b9138.jpg

Would just heating up the crankcase to expand it not have taken the bearing race out? just curious.

I don't think it would have made much of a difference as the race and the aluminium would have heated at the same time and expanded at similar rates despite the differences in rates of expansion of the two metals.

This method only really works well if one part is put in the freezer and one in the oven!

I guess you could have messed with heat and liquid nitrogen cooling spay but TBH, the diamond burr was always going to work but just took some time! Better than scrapping the cases!

All was going Sooooo well:001_rolleyes: until I found the flywheel side bearing had lost all its ball bearings leaving the centre to fall out leaving the outer race in place in a semi blind hole (semi blind as you can't just drive the outer race through as normal).

So, what to do - I was thinking of all sorts and then thought bugger - diamond burr and grind it through on two sides. Two hours later and with minimal damage to the seat, the outer race caved and gave up the fight!

What fun this saw is being:001_rolleyes::lol:

Running a bead of weld round the race is often quick and effective for removing bearing outers from blind housings :001_smile: