What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Wow. Quite a bit of destruction there!

Yes, fortunately the crankcase survived as did the crank shaft (measured up OK) a lucky one but was still pretty costly on new parts!

Your 346XP cylinder is almost ported BTW, just the upper transfers to do then bevelling the modified port edges. New fuel line fitted as the original one snapped when the carb was removed!

Should be good once done:thumbup:

Got an old stihl fs 66 looks in good condition 👍 but won't start, it has spark but it not getting fuel, had a quick squint at the carb last night it was dry inside, the H and L screws where sitting in by 2 threads each :001_rolleyes:

Got an old stihl fs 66 looks in good condition 👍 but won't start, it has spark but it not getting fuel, had a quick squint at the carb last night it was dry inside, the H and L screws where sitting in by 2 threads each :001_rolleyes:

Probably the metering diaphragm has gone hard or the metering arm is too low:thumbup:

Check the fuel line is OK as well!

Probably the metering diaphragm has gone hard or the metering arm is too low:thumbup:

Check the fuel line is OK as well!

Cheers Steve

Fuel line is good👍 was a lot of pressure in the tank, took the carb of and the fuel was pissing out the pipe :001_rolleyes: there has been no fuel getting into the carb :thumbdown:

Anyone got any good tips to shift a stubborn clutch off a 044?

Seems to be something about this model, the last one I couldn't shift caused me to buy an impact driver which sorted that one in short order. Thinking I'd be in for a similar short contest I gave up on the socket and strong arm as soon as I could see I wasn't getting anywhere. However, this bugger won't shift to the point where it's chewing up the inside of my impact socket and starting to round the head on the clutch hub too.

I've given up before it's totally shagged.

Any ideas, wd40 and leave it a week, heat it?

Cheers, Dan

Anyone got any good tips to shift a stubborn clutch off a 044?

Seems to be something about this model, the last one I couldn't shift caused me to buy an impact driver which sorted that one in short order. Thinking I'd be in for a similar short contest I gave up on the socket and strong arm as soon as I could see I wasn't getting anywhere. However, this bugger won't shift to the point where it's chewing up the inside of my impact socket and starting to round the head on the clutch hub too.

I've given up before it's totally shagged.

Any ideas, wd40 and leave it a week, heat it?

Cheers, Dan

A bit of heat can work but in the past I have ground the socket end so it is flat and makes the most contact with the clutch hex boss as some have rounded ends on them that don't grip the hex immediately. You then just use a decent stop, put a decent tommy bar on the socket, stick your foot in the handle, hold down the top handle and pull the bar upwards with much force while making sure it doesn't slide off!

I think if that central boss goes, you are looking at either grinding it off or creating a special tool to locate on the clutch - old sockets can be ground down - I use this on Husqvarnas. A piece of weighty bar and two dowels brazed in it and engaged in the clutch may get you out of the mire but just contemplating the worst case scenario

If you use heat, apply it to the boss and get some oil on the middle but be prepared to chuck a damp cloth over the fire:blushing::lol:

I hate to say it but the Stihl ones with the big or small hex boss are the easiest to remove!

You could try and air chuck or take it to the local garage but ensure they know it is a left hand thread - clockwise to get it off!!

A bit of heat can work but in the past I have ground the socket end so it is flat and makes the most contact with the clutch hex boss as some have rounded ends on them that don't grip the hex immediately. You then just use a decent stop, put a decent tommy bar on the socket, stick your foot in the handle, hold down the top handle and pull the bar upwards with much force while making sure it doesn't slide off!

I think if that central boss goes, you are looking at either grinding it off or creating a special tool to locate on the clutch - old sockets can be ground down - I use this on Husqvarnas. A piece of weighty bar and two dowels brazed in it and engaged in the clutch may get you out of the mire but just contemplating the worst case scenario

If you use heat, apply it to the boss and get some oil on the middle but be prepared to chuck a damp cloth over the fire:blushing::lol:

I hate to say it but the Stihl ones with the big or small hex boss are the easiest to remove!

You could try and air chuck or take it to the local garage but ensure they know it is a left hand thread - clockwise to get it off!!

Clockwise you say....