What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hi….. I have a TimberPro multi tool ( don't laugh ) and it has been a bit of a pain to start it the last 3 months. When you pull the starter cord it will try and yank your arm off. It also refuses to stop running after starting , unless you rev the engine. Other than that , it has been sound .

I kinda suspect a timing issue ??

I took the flywheel off to check the flywheel key , for shear , but it was fine.

There are some deposits in the spark plug , not sure what.

Maybe there is too much oil in the mix , but I am pretty keen in that respect , making it " dieseling".

It seems quite a high compression.

52cc engine.

Any ideas anyone ????

You are spot on checking the flywheel key. It is also worth re-gapping the coil to flywheel. On bigger two strokes, if this gap is a bit small, it increases the ignition adbvance and can make starting a bit catchy if the ignition is fairly advanced as standard.

The MS660 is a bit like that for one!

Yeh the plug was a bit black , the deposits went right up around the core of the plug.

I will try the carb settings tomorrow .

If that doesn't work I will have a look at Spud's idea ………. Roughly how much gap should I be looking at ???

Started it up inside the boat tonight to test it !! NOT a good idea !! 'cus it wouldn't stop !!

Yeh the plug was a bit black , the deposits went right up around the core of the plug.

I will try the carb settings tomorrow .

If that doesn't work I will have a look at Spud's idea ………. Roughly how much gap should I be looking at ???

Started it up inside the boat tonight to test it !! NOT a good idea !! 'cus it wouldn't stop !!

The thickness of a typical business card.

Spud, i got a metal clutch bearing for my 261, it's a bit better but there is still a fair bit of slop between the bearing and crankshaft wich allows a fair bit of movement on the clutch drum. Am sure I herd somewhere that the early 261 had a crank issue? ???

What can I do.