What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Can the fuel tank breathers stick open?

Fuels been dribbling out of my tank breather on my 201t.... also it has started using loads more fuel recently.... usage up by at least 50-60 percent more fuel being used!

Air filter doesn't look to good... suppose there is only so much you can clean these type filters?

will have to investigate saw further!

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396474131.011897.jpg.97bd343b3d42304ec11b96f8018d117e.jpg

Hi Swinny, I am not sure what your air filter is made of. The one in my old 026 is made of plastic and it became pretty clogged up. I dropped it into an ultrasonic cleaner with just water and a few drops of washing up liquid and was petty impressed with how clean it came out (before and after pics) so this may be an option for you and yes, the saw ran quite a lot better after that !

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396474113.527367.jpg.62f865b47a42277411ecbb01e19ab688.jpg

[ATTACH]152798[/ATTACH][ATTACH]152799[/ATTACH]

Hi Swinny, I am not sure what your air filter is made of. The one in my old 026 is made of plastic and it became pretty clogged up. I dropped it into an ultrasonic cleaner with just water and a few drops of washing up liquid and was petty impressed with how clean it came out (before and after pics) so this may be an option for you and yes, the saw ran quite a lot better after that !

You can get similar results with a compressor airline and a can of WD40 followed by carb cleaner - just loosen the crap off with WD40, give it a blast of air, do the same with carb cleaner and the jobs a goodun:thumbup:

This is the sort of edge achievable with a 4.5" disc, used almost flat.

There is a tiny bit of blueing towards the tip, but a little bit is OK. If you sharpen so slowly as to get no blueing at all on well worn teeth, it would be cheaper to fit new blades.

Is any blueing ok on a cutting edge? If I blued the edge of a hook or axe like that I'd be upset.

This is the sort of edge achievable with a 4.5" disc, used almost flat.

There is a tiny bit of blueing towards the tip, but a little bit is OK. If you sharpen so slowly as to get no blueing at all on well worn teeth, it would be cheaper to fit new blades.

Is any blueing ok on a cutting edge? If I blued the edge of a hook or axe like that I'd be upset.

You would have to try very hard to blue a hook or an axe as there is so much material to soak up the heat.

A cutter blade is more like a chainsaw chain, and very easy to blue, but a chainsaw chain that has been blued seems to harden, as its difficult to file.

I sharpen hundreds of cutters, most on an annual basis and a little bit of blueing is inevitable and does not seem to cause any detriment to the blades.

Dont get me wrong, I would rather not blue them, but I dont get too upset when the odd one turns.

Had a beat up BR550 blower in today with the choke shaft broken flush with the body which needed a quick fix.

First picture shows the shaft which was drilled down the centre to just before the butterfly cut out and tapped with 3 mm tap.

second pic. part of an old brass electrical fitting drilled tapped and 3mm bolt screwed through.

3rd pic shows new shaft extension loc tighted and tightened so a grip can be fitted to operate choke.

WP_000991.jpg.a35c93f260fe822db9c05a8ff4887968.jpg

WP_000989.jpg.6a255340aebd2ae1ad275cd6e7f16a8d.jpg

WP_000988.jpg.98a786cc5c9d003578e151a4c8114719.jpg

Had a beat up BR550 blower in today with the choke shaft broken flush with the body which needed a quick fix.

First picture shows the shaft which was drilled down the centre to just before the butterfly cut out and tapped with 3 mm tap.

second pic. part of an old brass electrical fitting drilled tapped and 3mm bolt screwed through.

3rd pic shows new shaft extension loc tighted and tightened so a grip can be fitted to operate choke.

Nice job, the sort of inventive repair I tend to get involved in doing - saved a new £100 carb:thumbup:

I can't see it would be illegal in common law or civil for that matter - he probably meant it goes against whatever legislation the H&S have in place for grinding wheels and disks - don't think The Sweeny would have been quite so good if they had nicked the blagger for using an angle grinder with the wrong disk type.

Your nicked slag....wrong disk:lol:

:):):):)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Arbtalk mobile app

Nice job slim

Half the reason I started buying them, as you say a gasket kit can be as much as a new carb.

All I can say is ive never had a bad one or one that's difficult to tune up. If you go for one with the full 3 screw set up then obviously you may have to fiddle a bit or drill an extra hole for adjustment purposes if the saw didn't have it originally.

They tend to be available for the more common saws. I tend to use ebay and use a couple of sellers who have always been reliable and ive never had an issue with and usually end up having them in my hand in a week or so.

What saw is it your thinking of a carb for?

Its a general interest really and i have a lovely shindaiwa strimmer with a broken carb that id like to sort sometime. hutzl seems to have biggest selection on ebay.who else do you use

I'm enjoying an empty bench. Sort of.

Need to start a new thread. Maybe what's in your workshop but too big for the bench thread, thread.....

Today I have. Replaced the hitch on a Massey 35x, old one was seized solid.

Serviced a daewoo 13t 360.

Repaired a split hose on a kabota 3t, nice and not so easy job, why they thought they needed that many bolts to hold the floor pans in I will never know.

Took delivery of a new project. Renault b120 four wheel drive, look very much like a unimog. Hydraulic winch. Hydraulic services. Air run boxes.

I'm really thinking about doing mobile plant now. Might get a transit and kit it out. I like working on the bigger stuff.