What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Jeez ur not having much luck Eddy are you.

Nope! I wouldn't mind so much, but I was assured that the pistons were good, as high if not better than meteor by mike, so I chose to order from him rather than Leo in Greece, I can safely say ALL my purchases will now be from Athens!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Never used VEC. Ive always had hyway pistons from him and never had a problem altho I always use the original circlips. I also have an OCD/anal thing about once the circlips fitted rotating them around atleast twice to ensure they are located properly.

Does it look like a poor machining fault on the piston/circlip locating area or the circlip itself?

Never used VEC. Ive always had hyway pistons from him and never had a problem altho I always use the original circlips. I also have an OCD/anal thing about once the circlips fitted rotating them around atleast twice to ensure they are located properly.

Does it look like a poor machining fault on the piston/circlip locating area or the circlip itself?

Same here,usually get a magnifying glass and torch out to make sure it is 100%. Takes a minute and saves £££££s:thumbup:

Well these are the first two in many rebuilt engines! The 357 had been running all day before that popped, the 254 I had checked several times as I was worried about it happening again... But I can only chalk it down to experience, always stick with what I know and trust! Ironically the 090 is a cheap chink engine and as solid as the saw it's fitted to!

One thing on cirrclips - I always fit them with the open end to the top of the piston - something I have always done and have noticed this is how OEM pistons have their one fitted circlip inserted.

I am guessing it just makes the fitting stronger in respect to the enormous up and down forces in an engine!

Well these are the first two in many rebuilt engines! The 357 had been running all day before that popped, the 254 I had checked several times as I was worried about it happening again... But I can only chalk it down to experience, always stick with what I know and trust! Ironically the 090 is a cheap chink engine and as solid as the saw it's fitted to!

Not knocking your ability Eddy so please don't take it the wrong way mate.

We all seem to get runs of bad luck with something or another at some stage.

Theres a fine line of tolerance on those grooves I would imagine and to the eye it would be hard to tell a bad one if the circlip fitted ok.

As you say you can get a good Chinese piston but then ive heard a few ppl have had issues with meteors in 394's so you pay your money and take your chance.

I actually like and use some of the Chinese copy carbs, never had an issue with one and on the more basic stuff which you would get just one or two screws for adjustment the copys give you all three so you can tune them much nicer. :thumbup1:

Not knocking your ability Eddy so please don't take it the wrong way mate.

We all seem to get runs of bad luck with something or another at some stage.

Theres a fine line of tolerance on those grooves I would imagine and to the eye it would be hard to tell a bad one if the circlip fitted ok.

As you say you can get a good Chinese piston but then ive heard a few ppl have had issues with meteors in 394's so you pay your money and take your chance.

I actually like and use some of the Chinese copy carbs, never had an issue with one and on the more basic stuff which you would get just one or two screws for adjustment the copys give you all three so you can tune them much nicer. :thumbup1:

Oh, I know that, I just wish the bad luck wouldn't happen to me! Tbh I didn't like the look of the circlip on the other side of the piston on the 254, and when I went to remove the gudgeon pin, the clip pushed straight out, so if that one hadn't pinged out, the other would have! Still, it's a learning curve, got my eye on a 362xp, if I can get that I'll be happy