spudulike

Ok finally got the workshop in some sort of order

my aim is to have a very well equipped workshop this year

Need some advice on a quality tap and die set for small

engines

Which ones are good ?

Thanks in advance

Anything that isn't brought in aldi or lidl. :lol::lol:

Go to a good shop and buy a good set. I have been using Britool ones and I can't fault them, but you will pay for them.

Must be tungsten.

Ok finally got the workshop in some sort of order

my aim is to have a very well equipped workshop this year

Need some advice on a quality tap and die set for small

engines

Which ones are good ?

Thanks in advance

I got an old Hilka set from the 1980s - £12 off ebay - used but in spanking condition - two taps per size bottomiing and taper - real nice deal IMO

Go to a good shop and buy a good set. I have been using Britool ones and I can't fault them, but you will pay for them.

Must be tungsten.

Agree the Chinese ones are shyte - this is an old English term for brown pooie stuff and not the offensive modern version...honest

The parts should be Tungsten Carbide and yup, Britools are damn good.

You get what you pay for - reach mid 40s and this becomes blindingly obvious:thumbup:

Agree the Chinese ones are shyte - this is an old English term for brown pooie stuff and not the offensive modern version...honest

The parts should be Tungsten Carbide and yup, Britools are damn good.

You get what you pay for - reach mid 40s and this becomes blindingly obvious:thumbup:

Unfortunately, it's more like 'you don't get what you haven't paid for'. :001_smile:

Must be tungsten.

I'll contradict that and say the Lidl set I bought on a whim for about £5.99 has been good value. I know it's only HSS but for what I paid it has held up for 4 years, cleaned out hundreds of threads in aluminium and steel and the tap and die wrench are decent quality. I bought some hole saws as well and they are great quality cut through 3 mm steel and still going strong. For spanners I use a Bahco set, great quality and I have Britool and some Kamasa which have stood up well to some serious abuse which they would not get on chainsaw maintenance.