What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I'm not quite sure what forum rules have to do with it Rich, but this is what I would do on a Stihl hedgecutter service.

Run it up before service and observe all functions, problems etc.

Give it a good clean outside, particularly around the carb and tank

Empty the tank and blow out. Check,clean or change the fuel filter.

Check the fuel hoses and grommets, check the primer bulb. Attend to as needed.

Check carb mounting bolts.

If it was running fine then no need to dissmantle carb, but if any problems then dissmantle, clean and re-kit carb (charged extra over service)

Check throttle cable

Clean or replace air filter as required.

Change spark plug and check HT lead.

Check exhaust firmness, check for carbon in outlet, clean spark arrestor.

Check starter mechanism and replace cord if required.

Check AV,s (if fitted)

Check handles for firmness and or damage

Check condition of blades (damage, cracks etc) check all blade bolts for tightness (making sure spacers are present)

Remove gearbox bottom cover, clean out old grease, check bearings, gears and cams, relube and refit.

Sharpen blades (I do mine assembled, no need to dissmantle)

Fill with Aspen2 and fit aspen sticker

Run machine, lubricate blades, tune carb and tach max revs, check idle

speed, clutch engagement and engine pickup

Fit 'service done by' sticker and write out bill (in my case £60 inc vat and parts)

hope this helps

I'd ask you for £20 off that price unless you removed both the stickers without any trace remaining. If not I'd want the £10 per sticker advertising money:sneaky2:

Had a bit of a row with an audi dealer once who'd put a few of his stickers on my car without permission. refused to give me any money for advertising his business. short story: small claims court (dutch equiv off) £500 off the bill...

Unless per prior arrangement I find it annoying beyond belief that people seem to think it's ok to deface my property to advertise their business. When I work in somebody's garden, how would they feel If I spray-painted my website across their brickwork? :confused1:

Ok thanks Barrie.

Just had one in that suppose to be serviced. But old starter cord, old spark plug. Old dirty filter.

And blades had not been sharpend.

Just can't say who that's all.

To be honest Rich, I do not always change the air filter. If they are still firm and not too dirty I will sometimes clean them in carb cleaner and blow them through from the inside with an airline. As long as they will allow unresticted air through and not break up they should be OK. If they have gone limp and soggy they get changed.

If the starter cord is not frayed or too short it will not be changed as a matter of course. Damaged recoil handles will always be replaced.

Always new plug though, and always sharpened.

I'd ask you for £20 off that price unless you removed both the stickers without any trace remaining. If not I'd want the £10 per sticker advertising money:sneaky2:

Had a bit of a row with an audi dealer once who'd put a few of his stickers on my car without permission. refused to give me any money for advertising his business. short story: small claims court (dutch equiv off) £500 off the bill...

Unless per prior arrangement I find it annoying beyond belief that people seem to think it's ok to deface my property to advertise their business. When I work in somebody's garden, how would they feel If I spray-painted my website across their brickwork? :confused1:

Always proud to put my name on my work. I have never had a single complaint.

You must be unique, Mr Rover:001_smile:

I'm not quite sure what forum rules have to do with it Rich, but this is what I would do on a Stihl hedgecutter service.

Run it up before service and observe all functions, problems etc.

Give it a good clean outside, particularly around the carb and tank

Empty the tank and blow out. Check,clean or change the fuel filter.

Check the fuel hoses and grommets, check the primer bulb. Attend to as needed.

Check carb mounting bolts.

If it was running fine then no need to dissmantle carb, but if any problems then dissmantle, clean and re-kit carb (charged extra over service)

Check throttle cable

Clean or replace air filter as required.

Change spark plug and check HT lead.

Check exhaust firmness, check for carbon in outlet, clean spark arrestor.

Check starter mechanism and replace cord if required.

Check AV,s (if fitted)

Check handles for firmness and or damage

Check condition of blades (damage, cracks etc) check all blade bolts for tightness (making sure spacers are present)

Remove gearbox bottom cover, clean out old grease, check bearings, gears and cams, relube and refit.

Sharpen blades (I do mine assembled, no need to dissmantle)

Fill with Aspen2 and fit aspen sticker

Run machine, lubricate blades, tune carb and tach max revs, check idle

speed, clutch engagement and engine pickup

Fit 'service done by' sticker and write out bill (in my case £60 inc vat and parts)

hope this helps

A good list Barrie, it is amazing how much you actually do when you go over a machine:thumbup:

This is probably one for my new porting thread but yes, I have done some of this type of tweak, done respond well and others don't.

You have to be careful to get the degrees right as too much and you run the risk of some spectacular mechanical carnage!

lol i like the words spectacular mechanical carnage bugger!! would be better after the spectacular mechanical carnage lol

A good list Barrie, it is amazing how much you actually do when you go over a machine:thumbup:

To be honest, it takes almost as long to write the list as it does to do it.

Most of the 'checks' are instinctive and performed by sight, sound, feel and experience.

So the service not as technical as the description makes it appear.

The sharpening is the biggest part of a hedgetrimmer service.

Oh, and putting the stickers on.

To be honest, it takes almost as long to write the list as it does to do it.

Most of the 'checks' are instinctive and performed by sight, sound, feel and experience.

So the service not as technical as the description makes it appear.

The sharpening is the biggest part of a hedgetrimmer service.

Oh, and putting the stickers on.

Those stickers are an infringment of my civil liberties, I will contact my EU representative if I find one on my equipment:blushing::lol:

Think the missus may have something to say about that as well:lol:

Fitted a wrap handle and outer dog to my 560 today, fitting handles is always a bit of a bugger, or at least wrap handles as you can't turn the saw on its side!

Also I've finally finished the partner k650, had to wait on husky to send me a gasket... Only took 2 weeks!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App