I am truely shocked !!!!!!!

Dean Lofthouse

As it seems no one "knows" the weight of that dumper, or the legal payload of the trailer, that argument should be forgotten.

But, I feel the majority of you are missing a point about the strap. All this talk of it coming loose and its anchor security is not the issue. The position of the strap is!

If you look at the angle of the strap, you will see that if the vehicle were to move backwards on the trailer, it would simply drive over it, regardless how tight the strap was.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I'm more shocked by how it has been strapped or the fact that a few people seem to think it is ok.

As a minimum there should be 3 straps holding the dumper onto the trailer. You must always consider the chance that one strap might fail or come loose. It is a serious criminal offence to have an unsafe load. A lorry driver was sent to prison last year as the load on his trailer was insecure and came off smashing into a passing car killing the two occupants. I have seen the result of someone saying it's a big heavy load and I'm not going very far so it doesn't need tying down properly. Ended up with a steam traction engine going down a motorway embankment luckily with no injuries to anybody.

If you were lowering a branch from a tree would you just roughly put a loop round one end and hope it doesn't fall off on the way down?

Ed

I would have chained that dumper to a trailer, not strapped it. Four chains, a crossed pair at each end.

Personally, irrespective of the tare of the dumper and the GVW of the trailer, I wouldn't have moved that dumper on that trailer, since even if the weights are in order (which I doubt) looking like that it will a) be a rozzer magnet (if there are actually any about) and b) the appearance to the public is not one which I would wish to advertise. If that is how I move my plant, how well do I build things?

Irrespective of weights, it is categorically not adequately secure in that photo and should not have been moved in that state.

Seeing as how it was so dangerous, surely the taker of the photo could have made the driver aware of his folly there and then, rather than posting it on a forum and demanding a prison sentence!

I am glad Dean didn’t inform the fool of the error of his ways,…………. it’s getting harder and harder to get rid of the bodies.:001_tt2:

It would have looked better on a longer tri axle trailer but then the fine would be bigger because he had less payload. The shorter the trailer the better you need to get the balance the centre of gravity will be a nightmare as well. Lots of straps and a couple of chain straps would not go a miss. The answer would be a proper lorry.