Hook or tongs

Guss109

Hi probably a daft question but. What's best a drag hook or tongs? Got my cs30/31 in October so looking at buying a few bits as I go. Looking on the FR Jones site and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop :laugh1: have got my saw and most of my ppe but the mrs has just given us 200 buck to play with:thumbup: so far I've got my combo can chain oil loggers tape and a new bar cover. Any thing else you guys can think off.

Cheers guss

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i could i would buy everything:001_tt2:

Getting a job would be more important than everything else! Are you working yet?

Get yourself some experience first and then you will know what you need to buy to suit your own way of working. Failing that buy everything :lol:

Tongs would be fine to start, though not essential all the time. I'd build up a comprehensive toolkit, dearer than it sounds, for in the woods. Files of all sizes you need, flat file, bar grove cleaner, spare plug, sprocket, starter cord and other quick fix essentials. One of those combi tools that Jones do is handy too. A whistle (pea-less), personal 1st Aid kit, safety glasses.

I'm still working at the moment but just trying to cover all bases as to useful stuff il need for my course and stuff that I will keep using. Was meaning to buy a box of files good reminder. Do you guys use a jig for sharpening your chains or are they hopeless?

I'm still working at the moment but just trying to cover all bases as to useful stuff il need for my course and stuff that I will keep using. Was meaning to buy a box of files good reminder. Do you guys use a jig for sharpening your chains or are they hopeless?

I recommend the Husky roller file guides.

As for hooks vs tongs. i'd go with tongs i have a range of hooks and they have their place but tongs are better.

Tongs in one hand and a pulp hook in the other, I find is best :001_smile: (with belt holsters)

And a first aid kit on your belt - you can get them for about £2 on ebay. Ditch the plasters and add extra bandages

I sometimes have an "army style" water bottle, with holster, on my belt

I keep most chainsaw bits and bobs in a big toolbox that I can just chuck in the van with the saw, fuel, and ppe. Got round files, flat files, chains, bars, grease, starter cord, tools, etc etc

Oh and don't forget a felling bar/wedges!

Edited by scbk

wow u lot are organised

we usually just carry a whole spare saw as its easiest

and just cut the logs to the appropriate size that u just pick it up with ur hands

i'm the only person as well that uses a guide when filing